Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Just a little paper piecing...

I've been working hard the last few days on my mini quilt for the Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt Swap. The shipping deadline is fast approaching, and thankfully, I had a plan, I just needed time! So, I started pressing and cutting away on Sunday night, and got right to piecing on Monday.

I managed to piece the first block and a half on Monday, while I caught up on Project Runway All Stars. I was really thankful that I had something pretty to look at during this past week's episode, with all the bugs the designers were using for inspiration!!

Blocks in progress

I'm thinking of calling this block Showstopper, and yes, I am definitely planning to write a pattern for this block. Because the block is so intense, I can't see anyone making a whole big quilt of them, so I think what I may do is write mainly a block pattern. I haven't done that before, but I have to say, this block is a challenge! Twelve pieces of fabric per template and eight templates per block, that's 96 pieces of fabric just for one block. What do you think about that?

Templates, templates everwhere!

Last night, I worked on piecing the remaining template pieces. Full on chain piecing frenzy! That's one of the things I really like to do when I paper piece - I like to sort my templates and chain piece each different template, which sometimes makes progress feel painfully slow but at the same time, it keeps me from making mistakes with my fabric placement, so chain piecing is a good thing for me.

Stacks of pieced templates

I've got all the templates pieced now, I just need to finish sewing all of them together today so I can quilt and bind this bad boy and get it in the mail to my partner! I sure hope she likes what I'm making - I think it's going to be one of those swap gifts that I'm going to have a hard time parting with! That must mean that I'm making a good swap package, right? Have a great day!

27 comments:

  1. That's always how I judge whether I've made a good swap package - if I almost can't send it then I know it's right ;-) This block is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful block! Hope this is one that you share maybe in the lucky stars....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to you doing the pattern .............no pressure though :)))) it looks lovely .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Amazing! She's gonna LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wow! I love it!! Great job. Can't wait for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I think it is stunning - soooo striking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have one VERY lucky partner!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, when did you say the pattern would be available?? LOL
    Beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love it! I'll be watching for the pattern, and crazy as I am, I might make it a full quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Showstopper indeed! I think a block pattern is an awesome idea, especially for something so intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this block! Can't wait for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 96 pieces? I think that might be positively certifiable ;o) Still, it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you've got one really really lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous!!!! as always, i adore your work and am crossing my fingers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sigh, love. Your color/value choices in this pattern are spot on, and I can wait to see the finished piece ;). And I second/third/fourth the block pattern idea (I actually prefer block patterns to full quilt patterns because we all love improv/innovation, right? And as someone embarking on a project involving an absurd amount of 96-piece PP'd block, I wouldn't underestimate just how many quilters would venture to turn this into a massive quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cannot wait for this pattern! Any chance it'll be before Christmas??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say definitely yes - I'm hoping way sooner than Christmas, maybe even tomorrow or Monday!

      Delete
  17. This will be a fabulous mini! I know if it were mine I'd love it. I do love a good paper pieced block. Then again, the perverse in me thinks, why stop at 96? You should definitely make a block that has 100 or more pieces. 100 is a nice round number :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool block! I love the secondary design that the blocks make.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! Your colors are awesome -Lucky partner! I would love the block pattern but must admit 96 pieces - Wow! -- I never count them, because otherwise I am not sure I would make it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! 96 pieces is crazy, but it sure seems to be worth it! I also chain when I'm paper piecing. I'm the only one I know who does it, so I always thought I was nuts. Glad to see I'm not alone. I agree...I make fewer mistakes that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. looks like a good one to paper piecE!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG that is beyond amazing. She is one really lucky partner.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow! That's relaly intense! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat