Friday, November 8, 2013

Hello Showstopper!

You know that feeling when you get really excited about something that you're making? When you want to drop everything else on your plate so you can just keep working on it? This Showstopper mini has been that project for me this week. It's been a couple of long nights at my house, sewing away, but they have been oh so enjoyable working on this gorgeous mini!

Showstopper mini - all finished and on its way to its new owner

I am just over the moon with how these blocks came together. I had initially planned to work with some small scale tonal prints for this block, but I'm glad I switched gears and went with the solids - it just makes the piecing so crisp and bold. Not that I dislike my original plan, I think that the solids just add that extra pow to these blocks.

The original plan vs what I wound up doing
Prints vs. solids
For the quilting, I really wanted the piecing to shine, so I took a very minimal approach to the quilting, simply quilting an orange peel in the center of each of the four blocks with my trusty 50 wt Aurifil, and then quilting some loops and pulleys in the white diamonds and triangles that come together when you repeat this block. That's one of my favorite parts about the block, so I wanted to accentuate it.

Showstopper - FMQ detail

It was terribly hard to pack it up and send it on its way, but it's officially winging its way to its new owner, and I can't wait to see what she thinks of it. I'm hoping she'll love it just as much as I loved making it. Now if only I could knock the crazy notion I'm having of making another just for me :)

Showstopper - FMQ detail 2

And if you're dying to make one of these for yourself, I'm thrilled to tell you that the Showstopper Block PDF Pattern is now available, both in my Pattern Shop and on Craftsy! The pattern is nine pages of full-color diagrams and thorough instructions every step of the way, with complete cutting instructions and templates for both a 10" and 12" block. I wouldn't try to go smaller than 10" on this block, just because of the extreme intricacy. But, this block pattern is written in such a way that even someone with little paper piecing experience can do! If you make something using this pattern, please do share it with me! You can share it with me on Flickr in my Flickr group or on Instagram by tagging me (@dontcallmebetsy) or using the hashtag #dontcallmebetsy. Check out some of the cool variations you can put together with this block, both with solids and with prints...

Look at all the things you can do with this new block pattern!

Quilt Stats
name: Showstopper
size: 24 1/2" square
pattern: Showstopper Block by yours truly
fabrics: assorted solids and Violet Craft's epic Memoir print in white from her Madrona Road collection
quilting: loopy FMQ, pulleys and orange peels in white (#2024) Aurifil 50 wt thread
binding: Kona white to match the bits of white in the piecing

Showstopper - side

34 comments:

  1. Oh I am SO in love with this pattern!! I'd be tempted to pick it for my turn as Queen Bee if I wasn't so afraid that my hive would balk at the amount of work in just one block. Beautiful job Elizabeth!! Its just stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so CRAZY good. And I don't blame you one bit for wanting to make another. I mean, how could you not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous! Great job with the piecing and the fabric selection. I am craving the opportunity to do a mini and plan to do one in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cool!! It's going to be fun to see what others make with your pattern too - and why not? Go make one for yourself! Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I'm sure it's new owner will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You picked a very fitting name for this one! Incredibly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, geez. If I was your partner I'd be pretty ecstatic right about now. This is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh! Love it! I would love it if I was your swap partner! :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Said i loved it have just bought it did not think you would get it out so quick ...............your mini is just fab your partner will love it ,i do .

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE IT!!!! The fabric selection is perfect as well as the quilting. How could you not make one for yourself? It's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. POW! This is amazing, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pattern bought, with several Christmas recipients in mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's fantastic, Elizabeth! Wow! Very aptly named!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It turned out just beautifully! Gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this pattern, so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can I just say Jaw Dropping Gorgeous! I really love it and so understand how it was hard to send away.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it with the solids! You ARE the paper-piecing queen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Takes my breath away! Lucky Partner....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah I'm a sucker for paper piecing. Already snagged it, and once I finish my Small October block and both sizes for the November block, I might start this one tomorrow. Maybe I'll do a mini for my office.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I still love it more than butter on a hot bagel! :) I gave a lecture recently on modern quilting, and showed it for so many reasons, and everyone just oohed and aahed over it. Of course! :) Thank you a million times for making it for me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat