Monday, September 10, 2012

Oh my stars!

Did you have a great weekend? I sure hope so. I had a great weekend, wrapping up a great visit with my husband's longest friend, who's practically like my brother-in-law. We had a super fun time with him, and we're sad to send him back to New York City this morning!

weekend

I did manage to sneak in a little bit of sewing in between trips to the science museum, bowling and other fun adventures, though... Stars are definitely a trend in quilting that seems to be here to stay, and I, for one, am very glad about that. I just finished up two different star blocks for two of the bees that I'm in, and I'm excited to get these out in the mail today.

The first block is for Megan in the {Sew} Beautiful Bee. Megan sent out some fun, brightly colored scraps along with Kona White for a Lone Starburst block. If this block looks familiar, it's probably because I made one of these last month for Brioni in my other bee. This block is a really straight-forward, simple paper pieced star, and I think the finished result is just so pretty!

Lone Starburst for Megan

This month's Sew Beautiful block is for AnneMarie, and she's requested an improv hexagon block, which is going to be interesting, since I've only sewn a handful of hexagons in my sewing life...

For the Stash Trad bee, I got to make a string star for Corey. I've been craving some string piecing, and this block definitely hit the spot. I used a Free Spirit Designer Solid in Flamingo for the coral solid strings, and I was pleasantly surprised at how perfectly it matched the color scheme Corey chose. I pulled from my overflowing strings bin for all of the other pieces, in various shades of coral, taupe, green, and aqua.

String Star for Corey

Seeing these two blocks together up on my design wall has me thinking that one day I might like to do a star sampler quilt, I think that would be really cool. I'll have to add that my seemingly neverending quilty bucket list!

Wouldn't these make a great star sampler?

Up next this week is finishing up my Swirling Medallion quilt and hopefully starting on some samples for my paper foundation piecing class with Lee for Sewing Summit! I hope you have a wonderful Monday :)

8 comments:

  1. Stars do seem to be very popular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that lone starburst block. I need to make some time to have a go making it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great color choices! I love the Lone Starburst block, I've made one and definitely need to amke more. And hexagons are always a good choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those stars are just fabulous!!! It looks like it was a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't have a spot for that third star, (the one at the top) I will gladly take it off your hands. SPectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet pic of you and R! I love the bowling shoes too!

    Your stars look great--I need to get to work on my Sew Beautiful blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy smokes!!!! Those stars are GORGEOUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat