Wednesday, February 22, 2012

WiP Wednesday: The one where I'm back from vacation

Phew!  Back home at last.  It's funny how a vacation can totally wipe you out, when you think it will  rejuvenate you. Then again, a vacation with a kid isn't really much of a vacation at all, but I can tell you that we really had a wonderful trip to Wisconsin.  It was cold, but not bitterly so.  We did manage to have one day of play in the snow, which was great, and there was definitely some sewing fun as well.  In fact, Lee and I took a trip to the Wisconsin Quilt Museum, which was very interesting, as well as to a few local quilt shops, and I'll tell you more about all of that tomorrow when I process all of the photos!

While I was out in Wisconsin, I was working mostly on bee blocks.  I got to use Lee's little Hello Kitty machine, rightly nicknamed The Hulk, and it was a lot of fun to get to sew with her, though I was seriously missing my 1/4" foot!


For my block for Emily in {Sew} Beautiful, I was truly stumped as to what I wanted to do for her.  She asked for a block with an offset center of our own choosing, and I was terribly indecisive at first, until I tossed out the idea of doing a mini bookshelf.  I wasn't sure if it would work out, but I think it's really cute, and since Emily works in a bookstore and enjoys books, I thought she'd appreciate it.

Emily's block for {Sew} Beautiful


I also fooled around with a test block for my month of {Sew} Beautiful - I'm thinking about asking the girls to make square-tastic blocks, using my mammoth stash of Little Folks voile fabrics, but I wanted to stitch up a square first to make sure it's not too crazy slippery.  The verdict?  This quilt is going to be soooooo soft!

Test mini block for {Sew} Beautiful March


I kept plugging away at my Stitch blocks and managed to finish up three.  Only three more blocks to go before I start tackling the sashing and bordering of this one.

More Stitch blocks!


I also worked on some other bee blocks, three of these rainbow-y log cabin beauties.  These were so easy to put together that I almost had a hard time stopping at just three.  Super awesome stash busters, for sure!

Rainbow log cabin goodness


There's only a few more days left in February, but I've still got lots to finish up, including a bee block for Lee that I intended to make at her house, if only I had remembered my fabric, and the rest of my For the Love of Solids swap package.  I still need to decide on my small item and do it.

I'm looking forward to dusting off my machine this morning and putting it to use.  What are you working on this week?  Write it up and share it over at Work in Progress Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.   Happy Wednesday!

23 comments:

  1. Your blocks are so beautiful...and the sewing machine is cute too. =) Glad you had a nice time away...welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee, love the Hulk, you certainly got lots done together! Love your Sew Beautiful block with its mini bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! It sounds like you had a wonderful time :-) Great bee blocks, love that mini bookshelf block, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a fun time away. Great blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the same machine for my granddaughter to learn to sew on and found I love it too! I use the snap-on feet from my Janome machine and they work great! That way I can use the quarter inch foot that I love!
    Great blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blocks! How exciting that you got to work on the Hulk! lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a great time! I love love your Stitch blocks - can't wait to see what they become. And that rainbow log cabin? Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous stitch blocks and I love the log cabins! I bet you and Lee had a blast together - what fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute blocks! I have that problem with vacations, too. It's almost like you have to account for an extra day or two after you get back before you're on your regular life schedule again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of your blocks - the mini bookshelf is seriously adorable. She's going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the blocks. The hello kitty machine is adorable! Where can I get one of those??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blocks! And that Hello Kitty machine looks so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you had a fun trip! I'm excited to work on your bee blocks. My voile quilt is my favorite!
    Emily's block is really cool. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely blocks! I think I need a machine like that, and I may need to get it and call it a gift for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back. Glad you had a good time. Hope you settle in quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The binding on your books are so clever and cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, love the log cabin blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww, the Hulk misses you! She is very sad not to be sewing any more of your bee blocks! LOL.

    I would say these all look great, but I think I already told you that in person! But thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday anyway. : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. the hulk is a great name!!
    All the blocks are gorgeous! I love the books :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome! I love that you thought of me working at the bookstore for my block! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat