Monday, February 6, 2012

Did you really think I'd watch the Super Bowl?

I'm so not a sports girl.  Never have been, with the exception of a phase when I religiously watched college basketball with my dad.  So I was not one of the millions of people watching the Super Bowl last night - instead, I sewed.  I'm pretty sure I had way more fun. :)

In the 4x5 bee, life got in the way, so to speak, for one of our caretakers, so Amy and I are working on angel blocks for the members of that hive.  We chose Faith's Star block pattern for them, and after an intense round of rock paper scissors, I wound up making two blocks, for Rhonda and Jessica.

Rhonda asked for rainbow fabrics for her block, which was somewhat of a challenge with this block.  Ultimately, I decided to split up the rainbow into warm and cool colors and throw in some gray for a neutral to tie it all together.  I'm not too sure it really works, honestly, it feels a little haphazard, but I'm hoping that Rhonda digs it.

4x5 angel block - hive 10, q1

Jessica asked for aqua, gray and orange for her block, and I dug out some Heirloom scraps for her.  I'm happier with how her block turned out, even though it is awfully scrappy, it feels a bit more unified and well thought out.

4x5 angel block - hive 10, q1

I think I may have forgotten to share with you the lovely blocks I received in this first quarter of the 4x5 bee - look at all these lovelies!!  There were some wonderfully talented people in my hive, so I was really happy with each and every block I received.

4x5 bee - hive 12, q1


I also finished up ironing and cutting my fabrics for my Stitch quilt last night, so I'm looking forward to getting some more of my Star Crossed blocks done this week.  So many HSTs!!  I trimmed these while I watched my first episode of Downton Abbey (love it already!!), so that made it a much more bearable task.

Stitch HSTs ready, trimmed and ready to become blocks


I'll leave you this morning with a sneak peek of the mini I'll be sharing with you all on Friday as a part of Jennifer's Modern Mini Challenge!

Modern Mini sneak peek

25 comments:

  1. Loving that rainbow block, and so excited to see what your mini on friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While both blocks are lovely, I'm really drawn to the rainbow star... very, very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love those star blocks! You did a great job with the rainbow one, so bright and vibrant! rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those stars are beauties!! The super bowl was a drag, and I'm jealous you sewed instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am loving those star blocks. so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Rainbow star block too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet angel blocks! The rainbow and Heath look really cute together. Yep, I'm pretty sure we had more fun not watching the Superbowl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the rescue block! I love it and it will make a great addition to the quilt. Now to figure out how to arrange them all and put it together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rainbow block looks great to me! Your choice to lay the warm star over the cool background really helps those vibrant citrus tones pop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow love those blocks and the bee blocks look wonderful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those blocks and your hand stitching is so cute! I did some hand sewing while the game was on last night, too. Though I did put my sewing down to watch Madonna do her thing in some high heeled boots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your angel blocks (and your decision method over who was making for whom ;o) ) Cool sneak peek too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beuatiful blocks, colours, fabrics and your mini must be something really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh look at those beautiful hand sewn lines! lovely! great blocks also!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think both of your angel blocks turned out very well. I was at a Superbowl party yesterday, very low-key. I didn't pay attention to the game at all--but I got to spend time reading books to my grandchildren. WAY more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree - much more fun indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love love love these star blocks. And the colours are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A-ma-ZING! Perfect points. Beautiful : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the rainbow one best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i'm with u. sports leave me cold unless one of my grandkids are playing. i would always rather be sewing

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is block heaven!

    Like the look of that sneak preview, ooohh clever two toned quilting, I like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat