Friday, February 25, 2011

Let the sun shine...also known as my 100th post

It's my mother's birthday this week.  If you ask her, she's turning 27.  She's been 27 pretty much since my now 45-year-old brother was born, so there's really supposed to be quite a few more candles on her cake, but that's neither here nor there.  My mother is one of those people who collects things - she collects sun faces.  She has an entire wall of them at this point, with over 40 various pieces.  Some are works of art, some are plates or pottery pieces, some are needlepoint, some are metal - it's a really vast kind of collection.  I wanted to contribute, but since I didn't see myself taking up metalwork any time soon, I wanted to sew her something.

Then, I saw Lee's tutorial at Fat Quarterly, and it was perfect.  Have you seen it yet?  Hop on over to FQ right now, because this pillow will surely make your day!  Make sure to leave a comment, too.  :)  Lee's tutorial was super easy to follow, and quick, to boot - I finished this pillow in just a few hours!


I kept the quilting very minimal and simple, because my mother claims that she's not a big fan of quilts.  I really loved putting this pillow together, and I can't wait to give it to my mother for her birthday!


Happy birthday, Mom!

I'm linking up over at Sew and Tell over at amylouwho today.  Hop on over, it's a great way to find some inspiration!

P.S. - This also happens to be my 100th post, so I'd just like to say thank you to all of you who follow my crafty exploits and share your thoughts with me.  Your comments and feedback make my day!

22 comments:

  1. Wow, you did make that quickly! Very bright and sunshiny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how cute! your mom is going to love this! happy 27th birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy 100th post! what a cheery project to showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! How fun to see this post this morning --
    I saw Lee's tutorial and started make one last night, too!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom always answered, "19" when we asked her her age because she knew (correctly) that we were asking so we could tell our friends. That worked well for her until I turned 19. Then my younger brothers were confused.

    Lovely pillow. You're making me want one of those fat cat rulers so I can make my own!

    p.s. happy 100! I am delighted to be following your crafty exploits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your milestone. Isn't blogging fun! Love your pillow...let the sun shine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Elisabeth! Hapy birthday to your mother! I'm sure she will love this sunshine pillow! I do! Congratulations for your 100 th post! I enjoy every one of them!
    Sunny wishes from Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your mom, and congrats on post #100! The pillow is gorgeous! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling pillow. :o)
    A sunshine to be cherished!
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't tell you how much I LOVE your pillow! Makes me look forward to spring, so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO cute- perfect for this time of year. Can't wait for warm sun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this project and thanks for sharing the inspiration. A whole other blog to explore.... oh yeah...back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to your mom! And happy 100th post to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 100th post to you and "27th" birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it!!! Thanks so much for making this, it definitely brightened my day! It turned out so cute, I actually like it even better than mine. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, and congrats on your 100th post! I'm exactly five behind you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that's a super present for your Mum. Love the glorious colours you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy 100th post. Best stitches for many more!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super cute pillow and congrats on your 100th post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sweet birthday tribute to your mom! I'm sure she'll love this bright, cheery pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love, love, love that pillow, it really is bright and cheery! Congrats on the 100th post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat