Monday, September 27, 2010

WIP: Mixtape Doll Quilt

My niece, Katie, is big on all things princess-related, much like every other little girl in the kindergarten set.  When I decided to make her a quilt, after making one for her baby brother that she coveted, I wanted to make something that would appeal to the princess-loving side of her, but that she wouldn't feel was too young in a few years when she becomes a tween.  Then, I found Castle Peeps.

Oh, Lizzy House, there's nothing you've designed that I haven't loved, and of all of your fabrics, Castle Peeps is my favorite.  Talk about adorable!  It was perfect for this quilt.

This twin size quilt was so large it actually hung over the sides of my queen size bed!

My sister and I grew up playing dolls a lot.  I grew up with her hand-me-downs, including a wooden cradle, which my mother is in the process of shipping for Katie for Christmas.  Naturally, when she told me she was passing the cradle down to Katie, I wanted to make a doll quilt to match Katie's big quilt.  I could just picture Katie curling up and taking care of a blanketed doll just like I did when I was little.

Me, in my glory days, cuddling with a dolly, with a hand-tied quilt from my aunt.

Unfortunately, in my haste, I inadvertently used some kind of cheap broadcloth for sashing from Jo-Ann's, instead of my trustworthy Kona Cotton.  Thought I had grabbed the Kona, but I should've recognized that it didn't have the same, smooth feel of the Kona.  Won't be doing that again.  I saw a post recently on Jaybird Quilts about labeling the selvedges of your Kona with a fabric pen so you know exactly which color each one is, and I think I will start doing that to avoid this mishap in the future!

The nasty broadcloth stretched funny and completely ruined my quilt top, so I had to start over.  I cut all of my tiny mixtape squares out of the evil broadcloth, and then began to improvise, using the new tiny squares.  I think I like how it's turning out so far.  Stay tuned.

A very small quilt, indeed!  Just right for the heirloom cradle!

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet and precious!!! Love the prints that you used!!

    Holiday decor can seem like such a pain, this is the first time I'm really trying to decorate for the season andjust thinking about it gives me anxiety!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat