Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My first skirt and a pseudo pattern review

So, I guess if you can't call me Betsy, you can at the very least call me ambitious.  Always have been.

Naturally,when I came across a pattern for a little girl's skirt on The Long Thread, I fell in love with it.  It didn't hurt that they used Patty Young's knits for the photograph, which are adorable.  Well, I wasn't going to break the bank and buy any (sorry Patty!), but I did find a cute knit print at Jo-Ann's, and set about sewing a knit skirt.

Keep in mind, I've never sewn any clothing from scratch like this.   I've appliqued, and I've sewn bags and quilts, but never clothing.  Perhaps there's a good reason for that...


Well, having been burned by my amateur-ness with my sewing machine in the past, I did the smart thing and practiced on some scrap knit.  I even dug out the book for my machine to read about stretch stitches and such.  After cursing while attempting to cut knit in straight lines (argh), and getting up to speed with the stitches, I started following the pattern, which was quite well written, with good diagrams to make sure you're sewing the correct sides together at all times.

It's very not perfect.

This was SO not the only mistake - just one of those moments where the machine ran away with my fabric!

The final product is far from perfect, but I'm proud of myself, both for trying something completely different and not giving up when it got hard.  I'd never basted anything for the purpose of gathering it before, and it was actually a little fun once I figured that part out.  

From a distance, though, pretty good looking little skirt.  Just need to finish off the last seam, and ta da!

But, naptime's over, so Mommy's funtime is over for today.  Stay tuned to see what I manage to get done tomorrow!

0 comments:


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat