Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A tale of a bunch of HSTs

Once upon a time, there was a gorgeous collection of fabrics called Central Park, made by the uber-talented Kate Spain, who's got one heck of an eye for color (have you seen Terrain?).   One little quilter bought a little bit of Central Park, only to forget to buy the rest of it before it became nearly impossible to find!  Fast forward several months, and that same little quilter decided to use the color palette from Central Park as an inspiration for the Pillow Talk Swap.

I started with this stack of fabrics, shamelessly inspired by the color palette from Central Park.

A stack for PTS 5

Then, after a few crazy days on something I tried to call a vacation but was really a bit more like an exercise in sleep deprivation, I decided to cut into the fabrics and make some HSTs.  I didn't really have a big plan in mind, so I just kind of played with the HSTs.  I started with a stack of 5" squares of my prints and some handy dandy Kona Coal, then I sewed a 1/4" seam around all four edges, and cut into four little triangles, making four gorgeous HSTs.  Never done that before?  Check out this video - you'll seriously have a lightbulb moment!

Anyway, so after I started with the HSTs, I started playing with the layouts.  I wasn't 100% in love with them at first, so I decided to shrink the size of my squares, and went down to 2.5" squares, and I really liked the change in scale, and using both sizes together.

PTS in progress

Then, I kept adding to it, and wound up with this, which I liked very much.   I also had a ton of leftover HSTs, so I knew a pieced pillow back was in order.

DSCN4376

I stuck with some super simple straight-line quilting in white thread, to echo the design of the pillow front and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

DSCN4377

After much indecision, I wound up going with an envelope bag - I used up the remaining fabric I had cut for this fabric - some strips of Kona Coal, some 2.5" squares, as well as some leftover HSTs.  In hindsight, I wish I had just done a zig-zag all the way across, but I think this kind of looks neat in its' own scrappy kind of way.

DSCN4380
Note: That's just some dew drops on the pillow!

I'm going to be a little sad to pack up this pillow cover and ship it out - I really do love it!  But...I know somewhere out there, my partner is cooking up something extra special for me, so I think I'll survive.  I'm excited to see what pillow turns out to be mine, this group is full of such insanely talented women, I'm super honored to be a part of it.

I'm linking up with Fabric Tuesday today over at Quilt Story - off to see what everyone else has been sewing up!


Fresh Poppy Design

24 comments:

  1. That's gorgeous! You did a great job. And I love that group, I seriously always drool over the pillows in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks great Elizabeth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love that in every way - colour, design, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome!

    I've heard about that way to make HSTs, but not sure I trust my edges and corners to be perfect 1/4" Did you mark the corners at all so you knew where to stop?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous!
    Such an interesting design, with awesome fabric choices and colors, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Your little scalloped border is the perfect addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pillow!!! The color palette is just gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out amazing! I like what you did and how you even added some zig zags in! Great job, beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out beautiful, I especially love the colors you used. I really like the bright colors used with coal, I'm hoping to do the same sort of thing for my Kaleidoscope quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colors and design are stunning. Great pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coal is most definitely a perfect complement to your lovely fabric choices. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really beautiful. I need to be a bit more adventurous and follow in your footsteps. I would choose a cream/white as the background color here, where the gray is absolutely perfect and lets the colors of the fabric shine. Maybe its time I step out of my comfort zone...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that is a stunning pillow, love it! It's very striking I have to say! Trying my own cushion for the first time, nearly there, but nervous about the back of the cushion, but I have good reference books so fingers crossed. Fi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome Pillow! I love the center!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's that Coal coming in handy! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So lovely! That very pillow would look great with my bedroom's color scheme. Wanna send it to me instead? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So lovely! That very pillow would look great with my bedroom's color scheme. Wanna send it to me instead? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! your pillow looks fantastic, those colors really pop against the Kona Coal. Lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely goregous! I was skeptical when I saw the fabrics stacked together but when put together in the pillow... WOW WOW WOW!! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the colour combination very much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how this turned out Elizabeth! The pattern you picked is great, and I love the zigzag on the back too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat