Tuesday, June 28, 2011

FWQAL Week #2

I can't get over how much I am learning in this quilt along.  Well, I shouldn't say that exactly - I think I keep learning the same lesson over and over again, and I'm hoping eventually it will stick: SLOW DOWN.  Silly mistakes, like using the templates backward, happen so much less often when I slow down.

FWQAL so far - 10 blocks in!

I now have finished up 10 of these little blocks, and I'm still just as addicted to this quilt-along as I was when I started...though I have a sneaking suspicion I'll finish this quilt up sooner than I expect at this rate.  I'm enjoying working on these blocks for a quick finish here and there.  This weekend, I had a hard time focusing on any of my bigger sewing projects, and here I am now, four blocks later.


FW Block #7: Birds in the Air
Block #7: Birds in the Air

This block was the bane of my existence of the four blocks I worked on this weekend.  I actually cut out all of the fabric, and then let it sit there while I worked on the other three.  The sheer number of triangles in this block intimidated me, so I procrastinated.  I'm glad I did it - it went a lot more smoothly than I thought it was going to, and I'm happy with how it turned out.  The pink crosshatch fabric comes from Alexander Henry's Farmdale collection and the green is from Robert Kaufman's Metro Living.


FW Block #8: Bouquet
Block #8: Bouquet

I'm not in love with my fabric choices for this block.  I think I wish I had gone for a darker color for the large and small triangles at the base of the bouquet in this block, rather than the Patty Young Sanctuary fabric I used.  I may redo this one at some point, but I suspect when I mix this one in with 110 other blocks, I will completely forget about my mild displeasure with this block.

FW Block #9: Box
Block #9: Box

It's funny, I never knew that I liked orange before.  Not until this quilt-along, when I started pairing it with various lighter shades of blue, like this aqua from Joel Dewberry's Modern Meadow.  That herringbone print is one of my most favorite prints of all time, especially in this aqua.  I really like the simple design of this block, and I'm super happy with how it turned out.

FW Block # 10: Bowtie
Block #10: Bowtie

This block was by far the easiest of this group to work on.  I used some small scraps of FMF I had lying about, and paired them with some DS Quilts Fairgrounds and some Katie Jump Rope fabric as well.  The colors on this one make me extremely happy with how this one turned out.

Next week, I'm hoping to add some more colors to the scrappy mix for my quilt - I think it's time to bust out my purple scraps and see if I can make any of them work, or maybe some yellows.  Stay tuned!

38 comments:

  1. Oooo... very nice blocks... love the fabrics!



    (I will NOT be tempted to start another QAL! I will NOT be tempted to start another QAL! I will NOT be tempted to start another QAL!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your blocks are absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to join in on the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your choice of fabric for your farmer's wife quilt. What a great way to modernize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blocks! I just figured out I love aqua and orange too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabrics are fantastic. I love block 7 - it looks like summery pieces of watermellon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!
    I love how your blocks are coming together . . . just awesome fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blocks! I love that aqua print too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birds in the air is fabulous ... what a great variety of blocks in this quilt ... love your variety of fabrics too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your going to have such a treasure when you finish this quilt! And it's pretty fun to make new blocks and learn new lessons along the way. I like your blocks so far - even those with orange! We'll enjoy visiting your blog to see what's new with this quilt-along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blocks! I am going to have to read about the templates, so far I am ignoring them. So for the 1" finished hsts, I make bigger hsts and then trim them to 1.5" to sew in - are you piecing 1.5" triangles, with no chance to trim later?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pinwheel design the striped fabric makes in the middle of the bowtie. They are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got an eye for fabric! I love the orange and aqua. Looks great together.

    I agree, I make less mistakes when I just slow down, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't get over the tiny triangles! How big are these blocks? The Box block is my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great. Way to keep going. I think I might be losing steam on the FWQA. We might break up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really loving your blocks! The fabrics and colors are so fresh and clean. I have been following the quilt along online, and I must admit that I am very tempted to give them a go...despite all of my other WIP's!

    ReplyDelete
  17. those look great! Though I wish everyone would stop blogging about all of these blocks! It makes me want to drop everything that I'm trying to finish and start on it as well! ;) Can't wait to see how the rest of your blocks come out! I think your quilt in the end will look fabulous with all of your colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Elisabeth! Vow - all the blocks look so wonderful! I'm sure it's difficult to stop making them when you start! How exiting to make so much different kind of blocks.
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how your bowtie came out. All your colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely beautiful blocks! Amazing how you can make these traditional blocks look so fresh and modern!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking good! Your Birds in the Air block reminds me of watermelon, with the colors & little dots that look like seeds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your blocks. I skipped over some of these as I wasn't feeling up to the task of tackling all of those little triangles yet. Your blocks look really good so now I am inspired maybe I'll get those done this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well your least favourie block (8) is my favourıte!Its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That birds in the air block is amazing! And I am loving your fabric choices....they look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love how this is coming together! The directional/stripe fabric in the last block really makes it, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adoring the pinks and oranges in those blocks;) They are coming along well.

    I am still waiting on my book:/

    I am linked up to Quilt Story!

    ReplyDelete
  27. They're looking good, Elizabeth! I'm still looking at my Birds in the Air pieces - the triangles look daunting to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What?? You didn't know you liked orange before this??? How could that possibly be?

    Well I really like all your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well done these all look fantastic together! Busy trying not to be tempted to join in over here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow!!! These look amazing!! I am amazed by the beauty of all of these blocks!! Maybe one day I will attempt this QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  31. They're all great!! ...

    I wish I had the time to do this QAL, but I'm picking up blocks here and there that I want to try ... this would look amazing as a repeat block ... lovely work :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's so fun seeing how your blocks turn out - I would be totally intimidated by all those tiny triangles too, they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning fabrics - bet the Farmer's real wives would be sooooooo amused by all this!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your fabric choices for these blocks. The colours and patterns stand out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just love the fabrics you are using!! It looks so cohesive, but each block is different. I hear ya on the Birds in the Air, I think I was going cross eyed by the end with all those teensy tiny triangles!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your fabric choice for Birds in the Air. OMG that block took me hours to complete because I kept reversing the lights and darks. But it's my favorite block so far.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat