Monday, June 6, 2011

A little weekend sewing and happy mail

Can I first say how excited I am about how many of you are interested in my little quilt along?  I can't believe how many of you there are!!  This is going to be so much fun!

I wound up spending a few unexpected days in Orlando last week with my family, which was a lot of fun, but it's good to be back home.  I was really happy to see my sewing machine yesterday.  I wanted to work on something fun, so I cut into my Pillow Talk Swap stack of fabric and started sewing.  I didn't really do any sketching, just started cutting.  I'm still very much playing around with this, but I wanted to share what I've got so far.

PST possibility #1

I'm really enjoying playing with scale on this project.  I haven't done a ton of half-square triangles (HSTs) in my quilting life, but I can see why quilters enjoy them.  They're so versatile and you can do so many different things with them.  I've found a way to make four of them at once, and they're so much more precise than other methods I've tried.  I'm quite certain it's not a new method, but I'll tell you more about it when I finish up this little pillow top!

PTS Possibility #2

I'm possibly foreseeing a little bit of hand-quilting happening on this one, we'll see.  I am not normally drawn to this color palette, but I'm really liking how this is coming together!  And playing with the HSTs has been a lot of fun.  I am looking forward to wrapping this one up and getting it off in the mail to my partner.

Speaking of mail, guess what was in my mailbox when I got home from my little mini-vacay?  An awesome bag from my Goodie Bag partner, Lindsay.  Did she hit the nail on the head or what???  It's just perfect for me, thank you so much, Lindsay!

My Goodie Bag!

14 comments:

  1. I love the zig zag blocks! and great bag too! =) I think I missed the QA info...but I'll go take a look...summer is upon us at the end of the week, so not sure how much sewing I'll be doing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful bag! I love it! And i love those blocks too, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HST! Love them! DO you do the method of sewing around the 4 sides of a square and cut through the centre on the 2 diagonals! Its nifty isn't it!?!?! Your bag is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! I went away for a week and really missed all my quilting supplies!

    That bag is just lovely!

    I learnt five ways to do HST at a workshop on the weekend. I wonder if you are using one of them? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized you are from Florida, me too!! I live on the Space Coast, just south of Cocoa Beach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your HST progress! The bag is super cute. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeay! I think my best pic of that bag was when I had it hanging on a chair, too. Very hard to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous bag! Wow. I just spent hours wrestling with the Amy Butler Weekender and am pretty sure bag-making is not my calling in life...

    ReplyDelete
  9. CUTE bag!! I just love it! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your HST combinations, especially the zigzags! I know what you mean about missing your projects while you are traveling... I have a few (short) trips coming up that I am looking forward to but also know I will miss getting to work on stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've got to get myself some kona coal! i love it! every quilt i see with it makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the zig zags, but I am a zig zag kinda girl :) The bag is great. What a lucky girl you are!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tried to send you three emails to join your Kaleidoscope QAL but got an error message each time. I even tried to reply to the one you sent.???

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love HSTs. They are so versatile. The color palette you are using is one of my favorites. I haven't added the gray yet, but I recently won some I am anxious to use. I have been away from my studio for a week, and I can't wait to get back to it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat