Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sewing Ninja mini quilt - done!

I'm working on trying to clear out some space in my sewing room by finishing a bunch of these unfinished projects, because February is here already, and that means new bee blocks, including new blocks for my newest bee, do.Good.Stitches.  That, and my month for {Sew} Beautiful is March, and...wait a second, I'm starting to make my WiP list already and it's not even Wednesday!  Time to get back to sewing and leave the list making for tomorrow.

It feels good to check this project off my To Do list - I started this sewing ninja back at the end of December, right after I finished my Hug Dot pillow, my first embroidery project ever.  This one started out with lots of progress and totally stalled out for a while.  It wasn't as though I disliked embroidery, it was that I had a hard time figuring out colors and stitches to use on this one.  In the end, I'm not 100% in love with how it turned out, but I tried some new things, and learned some new things, so I suppose all's well that ends well.


I had intended to make this into a pillow for my sewing room, but after I finished the embroidery and stuck it on my design wall, I felt the need to make it into a mini-quilt.  Never made a mini-quilt before, but I figured there was no time like the present, especially since I plan to make one for my Make Mine Modern partner.  I added some fabric loops to the back when finishing off the binding, and now all I need is to find a great place in my sewing room to hang it.


I did loopy meandering quilting on this little guy, and it was good practice - I'm still a little rough at it, but it was easier than the first time I tried it on my niece's doll quilt (which she'll be opening in just two more days).

I'm linking up with Fabric Tuesday over at QuiltStory, which reminds me that I have my block to finish for their upcoming Block Party.  Have you checked it out yet?  It's going to be a lot of fun...

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The embroidery is my favorite part of this project. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the combination of the 'hardcore' ninja and the soft floral prints :) so ironically perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that striped binding ... very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute, love the colors and stitchery...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cute...I was wondering what a Sewing Ninja would look like. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute, Elizabeth! Hanging on your wall she will inspire you to conquor the sewing world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that is an ADORABLE little quilt! I love it!

    I have some designs for the block party, in my notebook (the stained-glass window in our church must have been designed by quilters, as it's a combination of three quilt blocks, I'm sure of it, and so far I've figured out at least a graph to piece one of them). I...guess I'd better get moving if I want to actually put one together in time for the party, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've already started my WIP list too! But it's always great to check things off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute...love the colors! I recently took up embroidery again and am really loving it. Nice mini quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat