Sunday, February 20, 2011

Happy 3rd birthday my little munchkin

How is it possible that you are three years old already?  Wasn't it just yesterday that you came screaming your way into our lives?  Where did the time go?


I can't believe that over 1,000 days have passed since you entered our lives.  It's hard to remember what life was like before you came along.


This year, you asked me to make many things for you, but for your birthday, you asked for specifically for a polka dot blanket.  Ask for a quilt, and a quilt you shall receive, my little boy.  I sure hope you like it.


This quilt was so much fun to put together!  I was inspired by both Sarah, with her stringy polka dot quilt, and Megan, with her crazy 9 patch quilt.  At first, I worried that I wouldn't have enough polka dot fabrics for a whole quilt of them, but sure enough, I had plenty - and a bunch to spare, too!  I went kind of crazy with the wonky 9-patch blocks.  I made a bunch of them, at first intending to make a twin size quilt, but I ultimately scaled it back to a 71" square quilt.






I think I'm glad I scaled it back to a big square instead of the twin size.  He's got a twin-size quilt already, and this will be a nice companion that he can drag around the house if he wants to snuggle with it on the couch or he can add it to his collection of quilts and blankets in bed.  On the bright side, as I finished the binding on this quilt, I started to feel like I finally gotten a good handle on the technique of hand-stitching the binding on.  I used milliners for the first time, and I must say, that made a huge difference for me.  They were so much easier to manipulate the way I wanted to.  Two thumbs up!



Quilt Stats
Name: A Legion of Dots
Size: 71" square
Fabrics: Various polka dots all from my stash, sashed with Kona Ash and Kona Ocean.  The binding is from Riley Blake's Colorful Chrismas collection.
Quilting: All-over meandering stipple.  I had thought about straight-line quilting this one, but time wasn't on my side here.  I'm a lot more confident with my stippling, so I tend to move a lot faster that way.

I'll be linking this finish up with {Sew} Modern Monday this week.

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift for him to treasure for life:) I love all of the dots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous quilt for a gorgeous little man :) My 'little' girl is 14 today!! Where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure he will love the quilt...my son just turned 3 also last month. He will love it just knowing that mommy made it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt so much! The Ocean fabric was the perfect choice. I love that it's appropriate for him without being "baby." I know he'll treasure it for years to come!

    (Off to google "milliners!") :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt!...milliners???

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a beautiful quilt!!! happy birthday to your little man

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt! I am sure your little guy will love it for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, happy birthday to you, Munchkin! : ) The quilt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a fun birthday and mamaversary!! Very nice quilt! My boys are the biggest fans of my quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, my little lady is 3 this Friday and I can't believe where time has gone either! That's a beautiful quilt, love the wonky nine patches! We're moving E into her big girl bed and I'll be using it as an excuse to quilt for her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to your little man! Great quilt and hope you all are having today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous...and I love that he asked for a blanket for his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful quilt for your little dude. Time flies, doesn't it? Mine turned 3 in December and I feel like it was literally yesterday that I had her. I'm sure he'll love his polka dot blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the bright blue background! How cheerful!
    Enjoy the 3rd birthday . . . I think 3 year olds are wonderful!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! What a cute little guy too...

    Straight line quilting is definitely time consuming. Plus, I really like the contrast of the FMQ with the squares.

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, Happy Birthday! I know, the days go by fast, don't they? I can't believe how cute your quilt is...I wish I could see each of the individual squares!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this quilt! Sounds like you had a busy weekend! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat