Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stacked Robot twin quilts

First off, thank you all for your birthday wishes for my little munchkin!  He had a wonderful birthday, was super proud to announce to everyone who asked that he was indeed 3, and made out like a bandit.  We had a huge family gathering at my house to celebrate and he had a fantastic time.  The new quilt has made it to his bed and seems to be quite snuggly.


There's another new pair of twins in the world receiving some quilts from me - two cute little boys, Cameron and Hunter.  Needless to say, I've got no shortage of cute fabrics for little boys, including a ton of leftover fabric from the twin quilt I made last year for my son's big boy bed, so I raided my stash, paired it with some Kona solids, went to town, and came up with my 4th and 5th quilt finishes of the year.  Must keep the momentum going...


These quilts were incredibly easy to piece together, I went with a simple stacked coin-style quilt, using different sized coins and extra wide sashing strips.  Some of the coins were fussy cut, but most were actual scraps from the twin sized quilt.  This quilt was made 110% from my stash, which was a nice surprise.  It's so nice to have things organized and be able to shop at home!



I tried to give the quilts a little bit of unique personality, though I worry that I didn't make them unique and different enough from each other.  The backs are totally different, however, thanks to some super bright Kona solids I used.  I'm really feeling solids at the moment, I totally see an all-solid quilt in my future.


Quilt Stats
Name(s): Stacked Robots for Cameron and Hunter
Size: 52" x 56" (each)
Fabrics: David Walker's Robots collection, as well as some random Heather Bailey's Bijoux, Lizzy House's Castle Peeps, and Moda Marble Dots for the binding
Quilting: All-over meandering stipple


I'm linking up today with Fabric Tuesday over at QuiltStory.  Hop on over to see some other recent fabric finishes!

19 comments:

  1. Hello Elisabeth! Thank you for your lovely message to 'Nero'!
    Vow - you have made most beautiful quilts! I like those simple patterns and wonderful colours! Happy Birthday for your 'small one'!
    I wish you sunny week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, I never got back to wish your son a happy birthday (I read a lot on my ipod and it's not easy to comment)! Well - happy belated b-day to him, glad he had a good time and the quilt was totally amazing!!
    These twin quilts are adorable too. My sis is expected and if it's a boy I'm going to need lots of fabric suggestions from you. I"m all girl here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice pair. Can't go wrong with robots for boys! And I agree it is awesome to be able to do a quilt totally from stash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job on the two quilts - They look lovely. Great stash buster!

    Angie - http://craftedAngles.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. too cute and i LOVE the backs of the quilts. so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love boy quilts! These are superfun with the robots and I love the backs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice!!! and I am totally jealous that you've finished five quilts this year...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks cute! I have bits of this line that I am looking forward to using once someone I know has a boy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the coin queen! Thanks for showing how unique this style of quilt can look! Congrats on two more finishes (I like how the twin quilts give a little 'finish' bonus since they come in groups of two :) )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! You're going to make these boys very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute! I love that David Walker fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them! I am absolutely aching to actually finish something this year. Your progress is inspiring me!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! I used David Walker Robots to make quilts and nursery decor for my twin boys, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute! I have a ton of David Walker Robots left over from my nephew's quilt, what a great pattern to use them up. I might borrow your idea. Congrats on five finishes for the year! Makes me want to get sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am with Becky, I alway read blogs on my Blackberry, but can't comment on there. So Happy Birthday little man, even if it is a day late! :) These quilts are great! You are on a roll girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. John just turned me on to your blog, what an awesome gift and how cool is it to see Hunter and Cameron's name in here. They will be super impressed when they are old enough to understand.

    You guys are the absolute best. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love this! I just used these same fabrics for a quilt for my 3 year old and I have been wanting to use my leftovers for another one for my baby (for when he's old enough to share a robot/rocket ship room with his older brother.) I really like the design of this! Here's my blog post about my little guy's robot quilt. http://silverlilysews.blogspot.com/2011/02/rocket-ship-room-paintings.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat