Monday, February 7, 2011

Block Party: Modern Sliced Scrappy Block

Last week, I worked on finishing up all of the blocks for my girls in my 3x6 beehive.  It was a ton of fun, and I decided that these blocks wound be great for a tutorial.  They're fantastic scrapbusters, and look awesome in lots of different colorways.  See what I mean?



For one 12.5" block, you'll need:
Various scraps as small as 1.5" square
2 - 1" x 8.25" strips of white (or another neutral solid)
4 - 1" x 8" strip of a contrasting neutral (I used Kona Coal)
2 - 3" x 12.5" strips of white
2 - 3.5" x 8" strips of white

1. Decide on your color scheme for your block(s).  Gather a bunch of scraps in varying sizes - they can be as small as 1.5" square.


For each block, lay out your scraps (and cut them down as necessary) in three sets of approximately 10.5" long strips.


2. Sew your strips together, chain-piece style, and make sure to press well.


3. Once you've pieced your patchwork rows together and ironed them, lay them on your cutting mat and trim them down to 8 1/4" wide.  Don't worry about whether or not the seams match perfectly across the top of your strips, we're going to fix that in a moment.


4. For your top row, do trim the top to make sure it's good and straight, all the way across.  Then, make a nice, wonky cut across the bottom of the strip.  Try to keep the strip at least 1.5" long at the shortest.  Then, add a skinny strip of white (or another neutral of your choice) to the bottom of the strip, where you made your wonky cut.   Press well.


5. For your next cut, you'll be making two wonky cuts - one on the top and one on the bottom.  Try to match the angle of the wonky cut at the bottom of your first strip for the top of this second strip.



Then, get creative with the second wonky cut.  Attach a skinny strip of your white sashing to the bottom of the strip.  Press well.  Then, attach both sashed strips to one another and press well.



6. Lay your finished strips on top of your remaining strip of patchwork.  Again, try to match the angle for this wonky cut.  Don't worry about the bottom of the strip for now - we'll straighten it out in a moment.  Attach this newly wonky strip to the white sashing at the bottom of your joined patchwork.   Press well.



8. Now, let's trim the bottom of this patchwork block.  Feel free to improvise here, but I trimmed my patchwork to 6" long and 8" wide.



9. Add your strips of contrasting sashing all the way around your block.


10. Trim as necessary before adding your white (or neutral) sashing - your 3.5" strips should go on the top and bottom and the 3" strips should go on the left and right sides of the block.  Add your white sashing all the way around, and press well.


11. Trim your block down to a finished 12.5" size.


I'm off to the post office today to send these blocks in the mail to the girls in my beehive.  If you make a block (or two, or even a whole quilt!), make sure to let me know - I'd love to see it!

I'm sharing today at {Sew} Modern Mondays at Canoe Ridge Creations and also at the awesome block party hosted by QuiltStory's Heather and Megan.  I'm entering this group of blocks in the Modern category.

27 comments:

  1. Dude! Went to add this tute to the Block Library - and it was already there! Great block! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool! This is getting bookmarked, thanks! They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting a tutorial! So many possibilities with choosing a colorway...adding this to my list of must-dos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great block! Thanks for the tutorial! I will definitely try this with some scraps.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this block is great! Thanks for sharing the tutorial, it will definitely go on my to make list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! This is really cute! Wouldn't it be cool to use a little strip of selvedge for one of the skinny sashing strips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool! many thanks for the how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. What a great way to use up scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are seriously awesome blocks! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an AWESOME block and tutorial! I cannot wait to try this. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very cool. I have a whole basket full of tiny scrap pieces that would work great with this block. you are very inspiring.
    thank for the tute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea. Way to use up those scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea to use up those scraps in those wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, wow! I love these blocks! I just stumbled on your blog today and really dig your quilts -- I think we have similar tastes in patterns and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great block...thanks for the tute! I love the 3x6 Bee!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhhh, I so totally love these blocks! I kew there was a reason I was saving all these scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so awesome! Love it! Seriously, you amaze me everyday! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this, thanks for the tuturial...definitely bookmarking for future use!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for sharing how you made these, I'd love to make these blocks one day! :) Thanks so much for submitting for the block party, we really had so much fun so THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing this block, you do such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the tutorial. These are wonderful blocks. I can already picture the quilt they would make with my stash of scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a great block! I'm definitely going to have to try this one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like the blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this block! I hope you don't mind if I borrow a picture :) Promoting a Wonky Bee ;) www.quiltmonstercloset.com
    Showing people Ideas for it..
    I attached your blog as a link :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This technique is so neat n useful, I save all my scraps. I can't wait to get started on making one.
    Thanks so much.
    CeCelia

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your tutorials, they are easy to follow, thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat