Saturday, February 5, 2011

February Bee Blocks

OK, I know it's only a few days into February, but I've got a seriously action-packed sewing calendar this month, between it being a short month, my son's birthday mid-month, and having company come stay with us for part of the month.  I'm trying my best to stay on top of things, and while I was waiting for a big, fat shipment of Kona Ocean to finish my son's birthday quilt, I decided to bang out some bee blocks.

{Sew} Beautiful Bee - Emily's Drunk Love block
It's Emily's month in the {Sew} Beautiful Bee, and she chose a drunk love block, using some gray Kona solids (Ash and Coal) and some great prints from Anna Maria Horner.  I've never done a Drunk Love block before, but I will definitely do one again!  I scoured Emily's inspiration gallery and dug out my trusty DS book for reference and buckled down to tackle this one.  I was totally uncertain the entire time, but I think I really like how this turned out.  I was still uncertain when I finished it off, so I emailed it to Emily, to make sure she was happy with it.  Fortunately, she loves it!


Sew Fresh Fabrics Charity Bee
Peg & Becca at Sew Fresh Fabrics started up a charity bee this month, utilizing some of their scraps, and I was able to get into the first round.  There are two circles this month, creating a quilt for a lucky little boy and little girl via Project Linus.  I'm part of the girl circle, and received all of the prints below from Peg & Becca, with the exception of the Sanctuary strip of Zen down there in green.  That's one of my favorite prints right now, it's just so soothing and calming, I couldn't resist adding it.  I'm working on a special mini-quilt similar this at the moment for one of my swaps, so it was nice to start to work out my sketches with actual fabric.



do.Good.Stitches Roman Stripe Block
I'm part of the newest circle of the do.Good.Stitches bee, a charity bee where we each make two blocks per month.  Our host this month, Michelle at i.like.orange.too opted for a smaller 6.5" block and asked that we make 8 instead of our usual 2, and I was happy to do it with this block.  It was a foundation pieced roman stripe with a blue/green/purple color palette.


I really enjoyed working on this block.  I think our bee circle's quilt is going to be really awesome, and I might just do an entire quilt like this later this year.  I really like Michelle's sketches for the quilt layouts.  


I'm still awaiting fabric for one more bee, the String Me Along bee, so I've got one more bee block to finish off this month, but I'll tackle that when the fabric starts staring me down.  Stay tuned tomorrow for a tute on the blocks I made for my 3x6 beehive, they're super easy and a great way to use up scraps!

7 comments:

  1. How do you do it?! I am just starting to get up the nerve to try to even learn how to quilt...these are great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they both look really awesome! I love them both, I would love to see the finished quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both winners! :) Thanks for the awesome block - I seriously can't wait to get the blocks all quilted together. I'm in love already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed! I should get moving on mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, what is it with Feb? I feel totally overcommitted too. It's nice to get these deadlines out of the way right away. I love your do good blocks. The design is so cool, I've been thinking of doing a quilt of these too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - you did those in a jiffy! Great job :)

    Angie - http://craftedAngles.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like all the colors you chose - and the string blocks. They all look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat