Monday, September 14, 2015

39 Blocks Before Baby: Week Six

Six weeks in, and there's definitely lots of progress to show here for my Epic Sampler. I finally dug into the 12" blocks this week, which was quite fun. I tackled two blocks this week, the Bear Paw and one I'm calling the Ninth Frame. I'm really loving these shades of teal and fuchsia and the way they work so beautifully with the royal blue and yellow. I cannot wait to get more of these blocks done and see how they look together!!

Bear Paw
This is a super traditional block, but it was the first paw I've ever made. I enjoyed it, and can see why it's such a classic block. I went ahead and brought four of the colors from my color palette to play in this block, which I think works really nicely and is all tied together with that center dark gray square, which adds a sense of calm to the block that I really like.



Ninth Frame
Did you get the bowling reference? Ha, this is a simple twist on a nine patch block, simply turning it on point and adding setting triangles to it, but I do love a good nine patch block. For this one, I went ahead and went tonal for all three rows of the block, but in the center, to do something different, I only used two fabrics, rather than three, and I really like that draws your eye to the center of the block. I think this block would make a fantastic scrap buster. Mental note!!



So I'm now fourteen blocks into this quilt, nearing the halfway point here pretty soon, which is super exciting as I've passed the halfway point of my pregnancy at this point so the clock is ticking! The clock is also ticking on the special pre-sale price for the Epic Sampler BOM Club, which will kick off with the first kit of patterns sent to all subscribers on October 1st, so if you're on the fence, time is running out to save! Sign up today in my Pattern Shop or over on Craftsy if you're so inclined, and have a wonderful week!

2 comments:

  1. Your blocks are just beautiful. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is the woodgrain for a bear in the woods and a reminder that a bowling lane is made of wood :) I've always loved the Bear Paw block (I live in Maine, so of course it would be a black bear's paw)--now that I see yours up-close, I think I might be able to pull it off--some very familiar piecing for this beginner. Thanks for all the great inspiration, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat