Wednesday, March 7, 2012

WiP Wednesday: The one with lots of wind

It was a good week :)  We celebrated the munchkin's birthday with family (yes, for the third and final time this year) and I even managed to get a quilt top done!  Definitely a good week!  Well, that is, aside from my pathetic attempts for some decent outdoor photography.  It's been incredibly windy and breezy this week, and yesterday was no exception, so at least 80% of my shots turned out like this...

Seriously?I've never had a quilty photoshoot go this badly...

Finished:
Amy's Carpenter's Star - Amy is working on a Carpenter's Star quilt this month with her local bee and happened to make an extra package of fabric, so I told her to send it my way.  She sent a gorgeous blue print from Khristian A. Howell's Morroccan Mirage collection (still in stock at Hawthorne Threads!) as well as a gorgeous salmon from Art Gallery's Pure Elements collection and some background Kona.  I love this Carpenter's Star block, so glad Cherie wrote a simple tute for it!

Amy's Carpenter Star

Still going:
Star Crossed Stitch Quilt - Almost done!  Thanks for all of the feedback on how to sash and border this one; in the end, I went with my gut, which said to finish the top simply, to let the blocks shine.  The top's all done, though it was super difficult to photograph yesterday, thanks to lots of gale force gusts of wind.  Now if only I could decide how to quilt it... ;)

Stitch Star Crossed quilt top


Getting started on:
Cosmic Burst project - Mark Cesarik was kind enough to send some of his gorgeous upcoming Cosmic Burst (coming to a fabric store near you in April!) collection my way and I'm trying to decide how to best use it.  I've got a bunch of ideas, just need to decide on one!  I really love the bright jewel toned colors in this collection, especially the bright blue.

Cosmic Burst by Mark Cesarik


Oakshott Shot Cottons project  - I received a gorgeous package of Oakshott shot cotton fabrics from Mr. Oakshott himself this week and I'm totally in awe of how amazing they are.  Super smooth and soft and lovely dimensions, too!  I think I might do some paper piecing with these beauties.  Perhaps some NY Beauty blocks?

Oakshott Shot Cottons - SOOOO gorgeous in person


What are you stitching up this week?  Write it up and share it over at Lee's for WiP Wednesday!

32 comments:

  1. LOL! I have to laugh at the WIND!!!!! My poor Katy seems to get blown over while holing stuff for me :o) I have been lokking at the carpenter's start for about a month wondering if I should try, thanks for the link to the tute!

    Beautiful quilt! I cannot wait to see what you create with all the fabulous fabric, so bright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The carpenter star is great! That's on my some-day list too. Great colors in your quilt; you do good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVING the starcrossed quilt E! Its so fab! And what I wouldnt give for a stack of oakshot like that. They are so beautiful in person right?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand about the wind! It's been like that around here too. I kept trying to take pictures of some drawstring bags I made but the wind kept knocking them down! Finally had to weight them down! Love your star crossed stitch quilt. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Carpenters Star.
    The Starcrossed quilt top looks fabulous as does that lovely pile of Oakshott shot cottons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely piles of fabric! Your star crossed stiches top is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to do a true carpenters star. And the shot cottons... Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to put that Carpenter star on my list, it looks great. And the colors of your star crossed stitches are so, so nice and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO much awesomeness!! I love that Carpenter's block!! And that Star quilt is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Star-Crossed is really cool - always good to do what feels right! ;-) Have you already chosen binding?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Star Crossed quilt is awesome!! Love the pattern and the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in love with your star crossed quilt. Must . make. soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your colors in your star crossed quilt. And those oakshott fabrics - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful job on the Star Crossed block and quilt! That's a stunning pattern and the fabrics you used make it glow! And speaking of fabrics, those Cosmic Burst fabrics are something else. Lucky you for getting to play with them early!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful finishes....love that you included the wind shots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh so funny Elizabeth! I think the ny beauty will be stunning in the oakshot

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love your star crossed quilt!

    We've had tons of wind this week too. I was outside photographing a quilt and definitely did a fair bit of waiting in between gusts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you shared the photos of your windblown quilt - I definitely giggled.

    The oakshott shot cottons are scrumptious! Good call on the NYB - should look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i hate the wind! i have a fair amount of pictures that look amazingly similar! love everything you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got a good chuckle out of your windy photoshoot. :)

    Love what you did with your star crossed quilt, and I can't wait to see what you do with those drool-worthy Oakshots!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loving your progress this week! I'll have to admire yours, because I have very little of my own. ;) What a cute block for Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That carpenter Star is amazing. Love the Star Crossed quilt. you had a great sewing week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the blocks!! I want those fabrics they are sooo gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the Carpenters star and those Oakshotts are divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your flyaway block (and look on the bright side, at least it was dry and windy, we got horizontal SNOW today!!!) Your star crossed quilt looks absolutely fab, and GMTA on the Oakshott, I have that exact same bundle and that's what I'm doing my NYB tutorial in lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, I see you are up to your usual productive self! What beautiful things you have going. So...I have been totally obsessing over the Oakshott cottons! Um, slightly envious that you got some in the mail. The funny thing is, I was about to buy them but thought I needed a plan. Guess what it was? The NYB quilt-along. Still thinking of hitting the "buy" button...Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Star Crossed Quilt looks wonderful so glad you went with your gut :)
    So jealous of the Oakshott, lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Star crossed is looking so pretty. I have the same bundle of Oakshott and was going to start the NY beauty...but decided against it. They are such gorgeous colors and sheen.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Note to self:
    Love the Cosmic Burst fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful projects, I love the quilt especially. I also love the Oakshott fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat