Monday, March 12, 2012

Star Crossed Stitch quilt - done!

Thank you all so much for your support last week when I was unquilting this quilt and trying something new. I am so excited to share the finished quilt with you!  This is definitely one of my favorite finishes in a while, thanks to the fun I had quilting this one and the great texture the quilting created.  I love densely quilted quilts like this one, so I'm quite sure it's going to be one of my favorites for a while to come.

Star Crossed Stitch quilt - unwashed full shot
before washing

Star Crossed Stitch quilt - washed full shot
after washing
A while back, I fell in love with a block I saw in a copy of Jinny Beyer's The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns, on loan from the library, and sketched it out in my sketchbook.  Many months later, back in January, when the fabulously talented Betz White sent me some of her fantastic organic line of fabric for Robert Kaufman, I revisited the sketch and decided to finally make the block.  I called it a Star Crossed block, as it felt like a fab combination of a star and cross block, and I slowly started working on this quilt bit by bit, in between what feels like a zillion other obligations that I can't share yet.

Star Crossed Stitch quilt - unwashed detail #1


I was super excited to finish this quilt...until I realized that I didn't have a clue how I wanted to quilt it.  Usually, I don't make that decision until after I see the finished quilt top.  When I looked at this quilt top, I just couldn't seem to decide.  I wanted to do something other than my usual smooth stipple, and I thought a pointy stipple would be fun, but rather than mocking it up to see how it would look, I just went for it.  Whoops.  I hated it.  Intensely.  So much so that I ripped it all out.  Note to self: always mock up the quilting.  Always.  (ETA: All I do to mock up my quilts is print out a photo and draw out my FMQ design on it with a highlighter.  It's uber-low-tech and fast.)

IMG_8059
before washing

Somehow or another, I got baptist fans on the brain, and just couldn't let go.  So I did them.  And they were really fun to do!  The way I stitched these fans is indeed in a continuous line, with one start at the beginning of each row of fans and one stop at the end.  I'm putting the finishing touches on a tutorial of how I did this quilting to share with you all tomorrow, so stay tuned for that.

IMG_8056
before washing
I'm so happy I went with my gut and ripped out the pointy stipple quilting stitches I started with.  I'm also really glad I tried a new style of quilting, even though I really thought it was going to be either too difficult or too tedious.  Trying something new can be so much fun!

Star Crossed Stitch quilt - washed detail #1
after washing
Thanks again, Betz, for sharing some of your lovely fabrics for this project!

Quilt Stats
Name: Star Crossed Stitch quilt
Block Pattern: Star Crossed block
Size: 34" x 44"
Fabrics: Betz White's Stitch Organic collection for Robert Kaufman along with some coordinating fabrics from Just Dandy, Katie Jump Rope, and So Sophie
Backing: Remants from Betz White's Stitch Organic collection
Quilting: All-over baptist fan free motion quilting (tutorial coming tomrrow!) by yours truly
Binding: Scrappy binding, using remants from Betz White's Stitch Organic collection, hand finished

44 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous. Like the quilting. I've got a quilt to do, and may attempt this. Looking forward to tomorrow's post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh the quilting looks fabulous. That was a brilliant idea to use that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning and I love that quilting! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful quilt and I love how you ended up quilting it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilting is PERFECT on this E! Its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's beautiful, and that quilting is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Thanks for tip on mocking up the quilting design!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful! The colors go so nice with the block pattern, and awesome that you tried new fmq & love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gorgeous! Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply gorgeous! Congrats, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful! the quilting is amazing too, I'm glad you followed your instinct.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is Beautiful! I love the quilting and so glad to see that it turned out so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really really awesome. Love it! The Baptist Fan design ended up totally working with this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to that quilting tute--it looks amazing, Elizabeth! I hate to rip out quilting stitches, but had to do that myself, recently. Just didn't feel "right."

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is stunning! I am so looking forward to the tutorial tomorrow - I want to try that but have been afraid to!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything about this quilt. Awesome pattern, great colors, and I absolutely love the quilting. Can't wait for your tutorial!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great quilt... love all that fresh-washed crinkly goodness! Congratulations on such a fantastic finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was worth the effort - the baptist fan quilting is 'fan'tastic! (groan)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's beautiful- the quilting is fun and different. I guess picking it out was worth it after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beauty!!!! It looks amazing, and that quilting is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ripping out quilting is the pits! I feel your pain!
    But your new quilting is gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! And really makes the quilt shine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The quilting is splendid. I know it was a lot of work to unpick, but it looks like you made an amazing choice!

    ReplyDelete
  23. GORGEOUS!! I'm looking forward to the FMQ tutorial too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This turned out fabulous. I love the shell quilting. I tend to listen to worship music done by our church or instumental saxaphone

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooh it looks fab, so glad you requilted it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fab & gorgeous quilt! The curved quilting has softened the sharp pointiness of the 'stars'.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a really beautiful quilt, Elizabeth! And the quilting design is just wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. If you were closer...you'd hear me clapping! You've done an awesome job! The fans are perfect and I can't wait to see the tutorial :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks amazing!! Love the quilting =D

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's me again... :) Hopefully I took care of the no-reply thing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh wow. I loooove this, Elizabeth! Everything about it. Looking forward to your tutorial - I think it will be a good choice for a top I just finished....

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yeah...this quilting looks fantastic!! Incredible job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this quilt so much! Thanks for sharing the block tutorial and I am looking forward to seeing how you do the quilting. Absolutely amazing fabric as well!

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMG the quilting has just turned this fabulous quilt into a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love everything!Fabrics, blocks, quilting....looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm surprised how different some fabrics look like after washing because of the quilting. What a difference. So you were probably absolutely right to rip the first quilting out. I can't wait to see the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial, this is awesome! I'm going to do this right away. I was looking for a way to quilt my retro flowers and I think this is it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wonderful quilt, great use of color, and positive/negative balance. And the baptist fan quilting is so surprisingly successful. I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. The quilting looks fabulous. Thanks for the easy-peasy mock up hint!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat