Wednesday, March 14, 2012

WiP Wednesday: The one with lots of fans

It's been a good sewing week at my house, between finishing up a quilt and a tutorial to share with you all.  It's spring break this week for the munchkin, so there hasn't been a boatload of sewing time, but there has been a lot of fun so far.  We've made plans to visit Thomas the Train this weekend, had a wonderful time bouncing with a school friend yesterday at an indoor play area and at storytime at the library on Monday, so it's been a good week so far.  I hope you're having a great week, too!

Done!
Star Crossed Stitch quilt

Star Crossed Stitch quilt - unwashed detail #2


FMQ Baptist Fans tutorial

Baptist Fan FMQ tutorial



Still going:
Cosmic Burst project - I'm using these gorgeous little bits of Cosmic Burst to create a new block tutorial for my Patchy Wheel block that I used in my mini for my partner in the For the Love of Solids swap, which is on its way to its destination as we speak.  Hopefully I can wrap this one up this weekend.  :)


Oakshott shot cottons project - Um...does admiring fabric count as progress?  Not really ;)  I am positively in love with the block Sara just did for the NY Beauty Along, so I suspect that might be the first one I tackle.

New this week:Modern Madness at Fat Quarterly - I'm working on my brackets for Modern Madness tournament at Fat Quarterly.  Last year, I was sorry that I didn't participate, so I'm making sure to get in on it this year.  I'm down to last pairing (Ruby Star Shining vs. Half Moon Modern), and I'm having a tough time deciding who wins for me.  I'm sure I'm probably totally wrong on who the final four are, let alone, the sweet sixteen, but it will still be fun to follow along!


What are you working on this week?  Write it up and share it over at Freshly Pieced!

20 comments:

  1. The Star Crossed Stitch quilt looks amazing! Loving the quilting on it - it really sets it off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the star quilt looks like explodind plus signs! Anyway, it's a great quilt, congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also filled out my Modern Madness brackets. I went with my fave lines, and ended up with both the Ruby Star lines at the end, LOL!! Love your star crossed quilt, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt and I love the quilting! Off to check out your tute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the fans and the quilt is stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! And thanks for the quilting tute yesterday! I can hardly wait to try it. You make it look do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yeah - awesome quilt! And I love the FQ madness too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is the third time I've told you, but I'm still loving those fans :-) The vibrant colors of the Cosmic Burst really pop against that (linen)? Love it! Glad your have a great week with the munchkin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your quilt. I think I will try it with a jellyroll. Maybe an easy angle ruler too for the half squares. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving your star crossed quilt!! The fans were definitely a great quilting choice. I have been seeing the new Cosmic Burst fabrics and they are gorgeous...can't wait to see what you are going to do with yours :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's that fabric you're combining your Cosmic Burst with? I like it! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE it all! The Quilt, the cosmic burst and of course, Sara's block!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I forgot about March Madness at Fat Quarterly! One year I actually filled out the "real" March Madness brackets, by researching all the mascots and decided which one was stronger, like Lions versus Tigers, etc. Blue Devils vs. Demon Deacons--tough decision!

    Anyway, your quilt is so amazing. Love it. Thanks for the Baptist fan tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh those fans have plenty of fans on Pinterest after I pinned your tutorial! Looking forward to seeing your cosmic burst!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very good week! Love that cosmic burst action. I need to get crackalackin on my March bee blocks! This month is getting away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the star crossed quilt! I'm liking the fan echo quilting pattern the more and more i see it.....awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the Baptist fans! So worth the agony of the earlier stitch ripping.
    Thanks for the tutorial re the fans. I am just about at the point where I am going to have a serious go at machine quilting so all tips are very welcome.
    Cheers
    Lush
    London, UK

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your star crossed stitch quilt is just beautiful! I love your great selection of fabric. Your work inspire me. Thanks a lot for sharing!
    And if you want to win some block patterns, just visit my blog (bubblestitchquilts.blogspot.com), it's my first giveaway!
    Happy Easter!
    Cyrille

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat