Monday, July 20, 2015

A new finish for a new little person on the way

I'm pleased to finally have a summer finish to share that's fully quilted and bound and truly finished! The summer seems to be flying by, full of family time, work, trips to the pool, and very little sewing, but this project was a bit of a priority for me - because of the recipient.


We recently found out that our munchkin will no longer be a "lonely child" (as he calls an "only child") - I'm expecting a new baby early in the new year! All three of us are mighty excited, and naturally, I channeled my excitement into making a quilt for the baby. We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet, so I went with a simple bright, rainbow color scheme that will work well for either, and I picked a block that has been on my quilty bucket list for a long time - the X Plus block.

These blocks are SO addictive, and so quick to make! I dug into my scrap bins for the rainbow colors and pulled two of my favorite basics, an old out of print Lakehouse seed catalog print, and a cute tiny black heart print on white by Dear Stella, to mix them up with.

I love the simplicity of the piecing in this quilt, so I kept it super simple with the quilting and binding - just a simple stipple in my trusty white #2024 Aurifil thread and then I bound it using that same sweet heart print that I used throughout the blocks.


I adore the backing I used for this quilt, a new Cloud 9 print by Eloise Renouf called Passing Cloud from her line, First Light. This line is sooooo pretty! Navies and citrons and grays mixed with a pop of pink and a wee bit of teal, in beautifully detailed prints. Just the right amount of mellow softness compared to the bright quilt top!


Quilt Stats
name: Baby's X Plus Quilt
size: 36" square
fabrics: a wide assortment from my scrap bins, plus the Hearts print from Dear Stella and an out of print Bakehouse seed catalog print
backing: Passing Cloud by Eloise Renouf for Cloud 9
quilting: simple meandering stipple in white (#2024) Aurifil 50 wt thread

This quilt will likely make a great tummy time mat for the new baby when he or she arrives, but I suspect there will be another quilt I'll make for the baby once we find out if it will be a boy or girl. I don't think I'll be able to help myself :)

Stay tuned next week for a new block tutorial, for the Twirl block last seen in my Cotton + Steel mini swap quilt, and have a great Monday!

41 comments:

  1. Congratulations Elizabeth, you can never go wrong with the X plus quilt blocks! The quilt looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Baby Quilt Elizabeth - and Congratulations on a new little one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Beautiful quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Very Exciting times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Thank you for posting your backing fabric choice. I have been searching for the perfect backing fabric for my new niece or nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How excititng for the three of you! Congratulations! This block is on my list as well, one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! This will be a great adventure for all of you - the months ahead will be a fun time to prepare. This quilt is really cute and perky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Elizabeth, wonderful news!! The quilt is wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your family! I have you to thank for my introduction to modern quilting ever since I did your quilt-along with the kaleidoscope quilt some years ago. I love your patterns and fabric choices too! This is quite a fan letter! I guess I want to say I've been following you and am very happy for you. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Elizabeth! what happy news! And the quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt and congrats on your pregnancy - happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so exciting. How are you feeling? LOVE the new baby quilt. The fabrics are so pretty and I love that pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful news! Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! What a bright happy quilt to welcome the new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting for you & your family - love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Elizabeth! What exciting news. I have a feeling this won't be the only quilt your little one will have.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I started this same quilt pattern this week. - only 3 blocks made so far. I'm using Navy, orange, yellow and gray. LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations. A new baby is always just the best news ever.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! Very excited for you :) The quilt looks lovely too x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so happy for you! A winter baby is a good thing in Florida (although we love them whenever).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations!! Really like the X Plus pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations, so exciting! And beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations! Love the new quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning quilt! Congratulations...such exciting news :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. congrats!!! Nice job on the quilt and nice job on the webinar last night! I was quite impressed with you 2 ladies....no "umm" etc....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations! Your new baby will love that gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations! Your new baby will love that gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on the new baby and quilt. I am also excited about your Monday's blocks...lots of fun. Love the 2 sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just saw that, after noticing your pin of the geranium dress. Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you. And I will secretly wish for a girl for you, because I have had a crazy amount of fun sewing for my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just saw the news Elizabeth...congratulations! Hope you're feeling great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations! This quilt is just perfect. No new baby could have a more lovely welcome gift :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat