Monday, July 21, 2014

Exploding Star and interview in MQU!

Good morning everyone, happy Monday to you! I hope you had a great weekend. I must say, I did indeed have a great weekend, capped off my some super happy mail that was delivered to me on Saturday - the summer 2014 issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited with my name on the cover. Seriously?! Yep, that's my name all right. Wow. Granted, that's not my quilt, but gosh, to see my name on a magazine cover is just beyond astounding to me.


The summer 2014 issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited features an interview with me, which was a lot of fun to do, as well as several photos of some of my favorite quilts, and one of my favorite photos of the munchkin, working away in EQ on a sick day a few months ago. He was super excited when I showed him the picture of him in a real, live magazine.



There's also a pattern from me in the magazine, called Exploding Star. Exploding Star is (shocker) a paper-pieced star pattern that uses several different templates to create the exploding effect. I sewed this one up in assorted solids from Modern Solids II by Alissa Haight Carlton, and I love the sparkling effect they give to the piecing.



The quilting on this mini is done in several different coordinating shades of 50 wt Aurifil, my go-to free-motion quilting thread. There's several different styles of fmq throughout the quilt, in the different areas, which was a lot of fun to do. I also did some "faux" straight line quilting, where I use my free-motion foot and outline certain areas of the quilt. My relationship with my walking foot is a bit lackluster, so I rarely use it - instead I do straight-ish line quilting with the free-motion foot, which is way more comfortable for me.



This issue should be hitting your local Barnes & Nobles and Jo-Anns and such in the next few weeks, so keep your eyes peeled for it. There's some really fun patterns inside, including a fun pixelated guitar pattern by Penny Barnes. Have a great day!


Quilt Stats
name: Exploding Star
pattern: by yours truly, available in the Summer 2014 issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited
fabrics: assorted solids from In the Beginning's Modern Solids II
quilting: linear L's, zig zags, pulleys, wishbones, and faux straight-line quilting all in assorted coordinating shades of Aurifil 50 wt cotton thread


13 comments:

  1. WOW! cdongrats! you can be super proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow~how exciting! Will have to get the magazine when it hits my store. Wish I was more than a beginner so I could do that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Elizabeth. Can't wait for it to hit the shops so I can get a copy. Love your exploding star.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemary B here:
    You are famous! No really, this is a great magazine and it is so nice that they are sharing the wonderfulness about you.
    I would love to make something like this, but in muted tones for my 90 year old parents.
    They are moving to Ashby Ponds and Erickson community. They will have their own cool apartment.
    thank you for sharing yourself with the world, and this pattern looks exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! That is really cool and how fun to share with your munchkin, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My word, you are in and on a magazine!!!
    Congratulations!!!
    The star is fabulous!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is brilliant! Sure your wee boy was over the moon. The FMQ on that is lovely - I am doing your Craftsy class so still practising!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on being a cover girl. I cannot imagine the thrill of being published in a magazine. I can hardly wait for the magazine. Thanks to quilters like you, I am slowly embracing modern quilting. There are definitely parts of it I really enjoy and there are still parts about which I'm not as thrilled. Of course, I can make that statement about traditional quilting, too. I think we all have our personal preferences. Again, congrats and I know some day the munchkin will really appreciate his publish, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the interview and cover! Can't wait to read the article!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So exciting to be interviewed in a magazine!!! I just got mine in the mail the other day and looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats. That is so exciting!! And you get to do what you love and love what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you please print this pattern again? It's so amazing and I missed the magazine printing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in luck - this pattern is indeed part of the Epic Sampler BOM club that starts up tomorrow! I believe it is part of the May pattern kit, and for now, the club will be the only place to access the pattern. You can subscribe to the club if you're interested right here: http://dontcallmebetsy.bigcartel.com/product/epic-sampler-bom-club

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat