Friday, April 26, 2013

Feeding my stash and my heart

The last few days have been spent feeding my stash and my heart, quite literally. There's a few quilty drives going on to support the people of Boston after the horrific events that occurred last week, and I wanted to make sure to take part. Like so many of you, I was glued to the news last week and it left me feeling not only saddened and hurt for those affected by the violence, but it left me feeling rather helpless. Enter two wonderfully generous charity drives led by two modern quilt guilds.

The Boston Modern Quilt Guild is collecting quilt blocks made in blues, yellows, grays, and whites measuring 12 1/2" x however wide you'd like. You can read more about the drive right here: Quilts for Boston. I've made two blocks so far, and might just make another before I send them off. I made a simple Mod Nine Patch block, based on my Moda Bake Shop tutorial from last year, and then I made a Double-Flip HST block, based on my old tutorial.

Blocks for Boston

The second project I worked on for Boston was a simple bunting flag for a great project that the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild has put together, called To Boston with Love. My local MQG is working on putting together several flags and I'm hoping to make a few more before we send ours off. All flags must be in Boston by May 31st. You can read more and get more inspiration right here.

Flag for Boston

In other lighter news, it seems my stash, although quite healthy in its own right, has been quite hungry lately, and I've been feeding it a steady diet of modern stash builders.

I was introduced to a great new stash basic, the tweed texture print from JennSki's Mod Century collection for Moda, by the super creative Marla of Sew Hungry at The Stash Bash. Marla used one of the tweed texture prints in her Happy Pills quilt, and after she found the selvage, I knew I had to have some.

Mod Century tweed texture fabrics

You can find the Mod Century tweed textures in stock at Marmalade Fabrics (although I'm sorry to say I bought up all the gray!).

The other modern basic I picked up is this fun print from Alice Kennedy's Matilda collection for Timeless Treasures. The chevron has a very sketchy quality to it, and I think it would not only make a great print to use in a quilt, but it would also make a great binding!

Matilda chevron fabrics

You can find Matilda in stock at Fat Quarter Shop and Hawthorne Threads.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend :)

7 comments:

  1. I need to buy more of those tweeds too. The orangey one and the blue look particularly appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosemary B here:
    Nice, I just following your blog and I am really enjoying your knowledge and inspiration.
    I won't call you Besty. My youngest is Elizabeth and I call her Lissie, even though her name is written with a z. -- it is just something that happened when she was a wee tot.
    Enjoy your day. I need to start sewing again
    My life has been crazy nuts busy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this info, and for making time to sew for Boston! I love the blocks, they are going to look beautiful in a quilt, and I can't wait to see these flags flying around town!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your flag for Boston :-) So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the blocks look great and the flag is wonderful, too. I like the fabrics, too. Sadly I'm on a fabric diet (not want, but must).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely makes for a great cause. Fabulous fabrics for your stash too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great contributions to both collections there! I'm hoping to get a flag in next week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat