Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Who needs another handbag? Um....me!

It's no secret that I love bags.  Having been a mom for the last two and half years, I've sported probably eight different diaper bags, and rotate heavily between three or four of them, as each has its own function.  As I finished up my in-laws quilt, 301 Park Avenue, and geared up to finish my sister-in-law's quilt, still to be officially named (not to mention finished), I decided I needed a quilt break.  And Amy Butler's Birdie Sling pattern has been sitting on my desk, unused, for far too long.  It was calling me.




I came across a quilt Monday morning at the Bloggers' Quilt Festival that used some beautiful Echino double-gauze fabric.  Lesly made a gorgeous quilt using some of Echino's Love Birds.  I just love how her quilt turned out.  When I spotted it, I remembered that I had some Echino of my own in my stash, just itching to be used!

Some people think Amy Butler's patterns are wordy.  I can't disagree, but I think the wordiness kind of helps me.  Bag making doesn't come as easily to me as the simplicity of quilt making - curved seams are not my friends.  But, despite a few bumps in the road, I'm really pleased with how this bag turned out.  It's huge, and is going to make an awesome day trip bag.  Plenty of room for diapers and sippy cups and the like.

Now off to my sketchbook to work on some scrappy mug rug designs for the upcoming scrappy mug rug swap!  (Did you notice how I'm avoiding that quilt WIP?  All I have left to finish the top is the final border, and I always dread putting those on, because they never seem to be straight!)

Happy sewing and make sure to check out Amylouwho's Sew & Tell linky party!

11 comments:

  1. Cute! I really like your fabrics. I made this bag a while ago. It's a great pattern to follow. I have been itching to make it again though because I've decided I'm not in love with the fabrics I chose the first time around. I might have to pull out the pattern again....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it! And I love that you chose to break up the bottom exterior....clever! This bag was the reason I wanted to learn how to sew, I love the design, but I've found it is almost too big to carry very often, so your idea of a day trip bag is a good one. Great job!

    Here are a few of mine:

    http://sewsupersweet.blogspot.com/2010/09/what-was-i-worried-about-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cute...I've never used an AB pattern...I couldn't say either way...but I love your fabric selections. =)

    Now you've got me thinking about a bag. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this bag (Amy Butler's bag are all great if you ask me) and your choice of fabrics is wonderful. it's nice that you were inspired by the BF, i think that's the essence of this "event". and of course you needed another bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I love this bag pattern, and I love Echino fabrics. What a great bag, I love the blue/greens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabrics used are so pretty! Love the bag :oD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, this turned out great! I've made two of these bags, and I'm thinking that my next one will have a magnetic snap closure. I love the size of it, and the pockets are very handy. I, too, benefit from lots of "words" in a pattern. This is definitely a fun project. I really love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty! That pattern is great, awesome finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your Birdie Sling! That Echino fabric is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have a bag problem too!! this turned out so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun Bag! Amy Butler's patterns are very fun -- you fabric choices are great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat