Monday, April 25, 2011

A Hooty Supernova: Complete!

I am so excited that my Hooty Supernova quilt is complete!  This is quite possibly my favorite quilt that I've made thus far, and not just because it's all mine.  :)

Hooty Supernova - finished!

Once upon a time last fall, I positively fell in love with MoMo's fun It's a Hoot line.  I quickly managed to stockpile a darn good bit of it, thanks to obsessive shopping habits and a husband who bought me some lovely fabric for Christmas.  Fast-forward a few months...while I still enjoyed eyeing the fabric, I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it.  Then, Lee announced the Supernova Quilt Along.  She advised against large prints, so I hesitated about using my prized It's a Hoot stash, but ultimately, I decided to go for it.

Hooty Supernova Close-up #2

I definitely learned some things on this quilt, and not just technically speaking.  I learned (the hard way) about the importance of labeling rows whilst working on the quilt back, I learned that pressing seams open seems to lead to more accurately pieced blocks, and I learned that I have a 1/4" stitch on my sewing machine...which isn't compatible with my 1/4" piecing foot.  It's something to use with my regular plain sewing foot, but it was nice to learn that.

Hooty Supernova - Close-up #1

I learned to trust my instincts about fabric - even when I'm wrong.  There are a few prints that look kind of unusual in this quilt, because of their large scale, but I actually kind of like that about them.  Normally, I'm a big rule follower, but I guess I'm learning that when it comes to quilting, it's best to let your gut lead the way rather than the rules.

Hooty Supernova - Plus back

I also realized something...while I love straight-line quilting and the clean look it gives, I really prefer the way a stippled quilt washes and gets all crinkly.  Not only that, but I really enjoy FMQ.  It's one of my favorite parts of quilting, aside from the sore shoulders it often gives me.

Hooty Supernova - Plus back - close-up

Thank you, Lee, for sharing this pattern.  I had so much fun putting this quilt together and I'm so glad I participated in this quilt-along.  If you haven't joined in yet, what are you waiting for????  Hop on over!

Quilt Stats
Name : A Hooty Supernova
Size: 62" x 62"
Fabrics: MoMo It's a Hoot by Moda Fabrics
Quilting: All-over free-motion stipple with white Gutermann thread
Pattern: Front- Supernova Quilt Along at Freshly Pieced; Back - loosely based on Jeni's Plus Quilt tute

Linking up today with {Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations - I can't wait to see what everyone else finished up this weekend :)

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

37 comments:

  1. Flippin' awesome Elizabeth! It is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks absolutely fantastic!! Great to learn new things too... even the hard way! ;) Hootynova is invredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! great job...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun, fun, fun! I love the green binding. :)

    You're so right about following your own heart with your quilting. The only time to stick to the rules is if you are sewing specifically for somebody else's desire or for a particular competition.

    Oh!! I used to get sore shoulders, too, but I tried raising my seating on this last one. Guess what? NOOO sore shoulders! Make sure you're sitting so that your arms bend no more than 90 degrees. I requisitioned the adjustable piano bench and it is now my personal sewing bench. :) Muahahahahaha - - -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this is awesome!! Love love love. Amen to crinkly yummy-ness of FMQing, I think that is my favorite part of FMQing! I love your quilt back, I know it gave you some headaches, but seeing the finished product, it was totally worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks fantastic! Beautiful job! I love the FMQ on it. I still haven't braved it and I've already started straight-lining my supernova. I'm such a chicken. I love that you did such a fantastic backing for it that it's totally reversible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo! Excellent work. It's so bright and fresh! I think I like the back as much as the front. What color is the binding?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also think the backing is terrific and makes this one a truly 2 sided quilt. The Supernova pattern is so neat, radiating outward and colors grouped together. And your curves in the FMQ softens and compliments the straight lines in the blocks. I can see why this one is your new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous!!! I love how the big prints turn kind of abstract in the smaller pieces.

    And doing FMQ is one of my very favorite parts of the whole quilt process! Kind of meditative with a creative thrill tossed in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is fabulous! Sounds like it was a great experience making it. Thanks for sharing your quilt and your lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely. Much as I want to work on my Supernova quilt, my friend had twins, so I am getting those baby quilts finished up instead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it!! And I think I love the plus back as much as the front. Great job!! I am also a fan of FMQ....even with the sore shoulders!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh this is gorgeous!!! Absolutely incredible. A+, my dear.

    And as the designer of the pattern and the person who recommended against large-scale prints, let me be the first to say: Thank you for breaking the rules. : ) That's exactly what modern quilting is all about, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh it is just beautiful! Love love love it!! The FMQ looks great and works so well against the design and the back was definitely worth all the work. Hope you're enjoying it now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Elisabeth! That quilt is so beautiful and I love both sides! xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh Elizabeth, it's so lovely I want to make one too! Well done! If you want to link up to my Manic Monday Linky Party that would be awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! This looks gorgeous on both sides! I love this range too, I'm currently using it in a WIP. I'll be thrilled if it ends up anything like as cute as this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great quilt! I love it! I love how FMQ looks, but have yet to try it on a large quilt....scared!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty!
    And I used some spray this weekend. I'm in love! That tutorial was awesome that you sent too. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your fabric choices really were perfect for this quilt!
    Love, love, love it!
    And the back, WOW!
    Love the green binding too.
    You must be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks Great!! I might do the Supernova this summer. I have too many quilts in waiting right now, but I do love the look of this quilt.

    You did an amazing job. Isn't it great to learn something along the way!? Frustrating sometimes, but awesome none the less!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! The colors are amazing! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks great! I love that its a two-sided quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your quilt is gorgeous! The front, the back, the quilting, the fabric choices...all so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats! It looks great, love that you trusted your gut and got to enjoy a favorite fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is amazing, love the colors in the fabrics you choose. And thanks for telling about the learning, every quilt has something to teach!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, that is an awesome quilt, front and back!! I think you utilized those fabrics to their full potential on that supernova quilt...I could imagine some fabric combos not working so great for it, but yours is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is fantastic. I understand where you were coming from with not knowing how it would turn out, but wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks amazing!!!
    I love it. Kinda wish I joined in now... Might have to add it to the list of quilts I want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kelli beat me to it -- it is amazing! :)

    Love it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful! Love the colours and the stippling looks great.

    http://licklepickle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. It is so pretty!!! I love the back you picked!!! I was so close to having mine done before the movers packed away my machine-seeing yours makes me even more excited to finish quilting that last block!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous! Great line of fabric :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Amazing job - a double-sided awesome quilt. What a finish! I love It's a Hoot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It turned out so great dear!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat