Monday, March 7, 2011

March Bee Blocks...and one hope-ful block

When I started typing this post, I actually typed February.  I still can't believe we're into the third month of 2011 already.  How is that possible???  Speaking of March, at the end of the month, I'll be hosting a check-in for those of you who joined in my 2011 quilty lists goals at the end of last year, to see how we're all doing, so mark your calendar!

I spent my Sunday working on bee blocks.  Since I'm the queen bee this month for {Sew} Beautiful, I'm kind of off the hook, but I do plan on making more spiderwebs so I can make this quilt as big as possible.  I don't have very far to send my block (tee hee), so I'll probably get to that at the end of the month.

For the Bliss circle of do.Good.Stitches this month, Carol, our quilter, chose a Moda Bake Shop tutorial for our blocks.  The block is a stacked coin style, and our color palette was fairly simple - bright and fun - based on Alexander Henry's June Bug line, which is filled with bright pinks, oranges, blues and greens.  These blocks were super easy to put together, so I would definitely recommend it.



And as for String Me Along, we're making blocks for Beth this month, drunk love style, but with very subtle wonkiness (if any).


Making this block definitely put me in the mood to get moving on my Margaret's Hope Chest quilt.  I had a lot of fun creating the fabric stack for this quilt, but I had even more fun doing this block.  I love the fabrics in this quilt, they're bright and fun.  This quilt will be going to Kayla, who will be turning 18, and I wanted to make something for her that won't be so young that it will feel outdated in a few years, but that still felt fresh and fun.  I'm liking how this is coming together so far...


I really like doing these drunk love blocks. I like the improvisational nature of them and I really love seeing bees work on these kinds of blocks.  Want to see what I mean?  Check out how Emily's drunk love quilt is coming together from {Sew} Beautiful.  I can't wait to see it all put together!

I'm linking up with Megan's {Sew} Modern Monday today.  Pop on over to see what everyone else is up to!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

11 comments:

  1. The colours in the second to last photo with the brown middle fabric are stunning together..I love the varying widths of the strips of fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe we are so far into March either, it's crazy! Everything looks good! I finally pulled my fabrics for the do. good blocks too. Glad yours are up, that should help me narrow down the giant stack of fabric I pulled. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blocks, Elizabeth! I especially love the center brown square in your String Me Along block. It's gorgeous.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you! Cannot believe its March already!! Those drunk love blocks are so so great, and the colors you used are perfect together. I need to give that stacked coins block a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? March? Madness, I say! Super cute blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I need to get cracking on my Bee blocks. :) Oh, and maybe I should revisit my quilty goals list and tackle something on there too. I need a few extra hours in the day! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm SO with you. Totally hooked on drunk love blocks now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your block for Beth turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your simple stacked coins blocks. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed all your blocks, but oh my goodness, those first two are exceptionally beautiful! I like all the different little scraps you used, so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! Ooh how beautiful blocks you have made! All the colours are so wonderful! Those squares want to tell me something...should I make them, too?! Wishes from Teje

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat