Monday, December 27, 2010

Fresh Greenery Urban Lattice quilt - done!

Phew.  It's been a whirlwind around my house the last several days, between having company and Christmas and all of that fun stuff.  Don't get me wrong, it was a good whirlwind, but phew!  A part of me is glad that it's time to get back to normal.  Christmas at my house was a lot of fun, for everyone in the family.  My munchkin is in love with a Saxoflute my mother got for him, my mother adores the purse I made for her, and I am in love with my new baby, Betsy 2.0...and my husband?  Well, it's a longer story...

So...my Urban Lattice quilt, for those of you who weren't in on it, was actually for my husband, not a gift my brother!


I was feverishly working to finish it before he returned home from a marathon business trip, which fortunately was extended a week at the last minute, granting me a reprieve from an all-nighter.   This quilt was a challenge in a lot of ways and I learned a lot.


I learned that paper is not something to be afraid of, and to really be precise when using paper - that's what it's there for! I learned that outline or echo quilting is - make that was - terribly frustrating on my sewing machine.  I still can't believe my husband got me a beautiful Husqvarna Sapphire for Christmas.  Outline quilting should be a lot easier on this machine, since the throat size is double what I used to have.  I can't wait to find out!

I also remembered how much fun it is to surprise someone.  I can remember as a kid, helping my mother surprise my dad with gifts at the holidays.  One year, in particular, she wrapped up and put under the tree nothing but black socks, because that's all he asked for.  When he was done, we all had a laugh about it, and brought out another gift, which I seem to recall was a popcorn popper, which he absolutely loved.  I thought about doing the same this year, since all my husband asked for was black socks and shave soap, but decided against it.  I did make him open this last, though.


I also worked on my hand sewing, and I hand sewed the binding onto the back of the quilt.  It was maddening at times, but I finally perfected a knotless start, which was a big bonus.  I'm getting better at this, but it really requires good television and/or good music.  Thank goodness my public library carries Project Runway!


And for the record, my husband said a few times, while reading my blog from afar, how much he liked this quilt, so it was a tough secret to keep, but I'm glad I did.  His face, when he opened the box, was just priceless.  This was definitely the best Christmas gift I gave this year, and it's already been quite well loved.  I think the dog thinks I made it for him...

16 comments:

  1. It turned out wonderful! What a great quilt. Love the shot of hubby and doggie snuggled with it. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt! Great that you managed to keep it a surprise so long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! I love it! Looks like the hubs likes it too. The quilting looks great, it doesn't LOOK like it was frustrating. : )

    What size is this? I finally cut the fabric for mine! I'm making the manly size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! And kudos to you for keeping it a secret so long!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how it turned out. The grey with the green is wonderful. Aren't surprises great?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a totally great gift! Husband loves the quilt and all the effort that went into it! (Ignore the man in the picture - he is a stunt double for Christmas morning). Thanks to an awesome quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, I was waiting to see how this turned out. Love the colors. I'm getting closer to choosing my colors - le sigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out BEAUTIFULLY! Congratulations on the finish, and on keeping the secret!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful! And it looks like he's loving it already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that is one gorgeous quilt. Love the colours in it. What a fab surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome quilt! Your husband (and the dog) must be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! That last picture says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun surprise! It turned out wonderful - and hurray for you hand sewing the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this quilt - I'd already favourited it on flickr so really delighted to find that it's yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so gorgeous! You have inspired me to make the "manly" version for my beloved. I think he would prefer this to the pink quilt I have on our couch now...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat