Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Work in Progress: Charming Bento Boxes

My mind works a lot faster than I sew.

No, that's not really true.  I am able to sketch out a quilt a lot faster than I can actually find time to sew it in.  Not a huge surprise, but I haven't quite found the time to finish this quilt top, but I'm so excited about it that I can't wait to share how it's coming together now that I've made all the blocks.


Like so many of you, I am a big fan of Ashley's tutorial on bento boxes.  I recently found myself with a couple of extra charm packs and a hankering to try making a bento box block.  So...I improvised.  I read through Ashley's tutorial and adapted it the best I could to make it work with the fabric I had on hand.  And, well, I think I'm pretty proud of how it's turning out.  It was tedious work making these blocks, but once I got the hang of it, I really enjoyed it.

I'm going for simplicity here, so the design is going to be pretty simple.  I'm considering making a border around each block before sashing it them in Kona Bone, but I'm still debating on that.  Naturally, I want to use my most favorite Kona, Kona Coal, but I'm not sure I want to use a dark gray in a holiday quilt.  And if I don't use Kona Coal, I'm not sure what color solid I would use.  I'll probably waffle on this for the rest of the day and then make a decision and go for it.


Thoughts?  Feedback?

5 comments:

  1. Cute! I would probably do Kona Bleached White, but I'm obsessed with white. : )

    I really want to make this Bento Box quilt too! Like you said, "My mind works a lot faster than I can sew." Could not agree with that more!!! There aren't enough hours in the day to sew everything I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so great....i love that fabric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. So I am naturally always drawn to red. I would probably try to match the red tone (Kona Coral?) that is used, so make the boxes stand out more on your white background. But that's me, and I'm not sure how it would look against your block that has red on the outside already.

    I was going to say, ask Lee, b/c I think she has a great style and way of making blocks emphasized in a subtle way...but I see she's already put in her vote!

    What ia this fabric (I'm horrible at remembering fabric lines)?? I think I need a charm pack of this..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually love the thought of the blocks sashed in Kona Bone and then surrounded my Kona Coal. I'm a little non-traditional so picturing coal mixed with Christmas colors really makes me smile. :)

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys rock, thank you for all of your input! I really appreciate it! I'm sewing today and will show you a sneak peek of the direction I went in tomorrow, thanks to your suggestions, though I suspect it will be Monday before I manage to finish the quilt top.

    The fabric line, AnneMarie, is Kate Spain's 12 Days of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat