Friday, October 29, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival: 12 Charming Days of Christmas

I debated long and hard on what to write about this week for the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  I've been quilting like a madwoman all week, trying to finish a new quilt to feature today.  Somehow, thanks good coffee and Jimmy Fallon, I'm super excited to share this quilt with you, my hot-off-the-sewing-machine, newly finished 12 Charming Days of Christmas quilt.




Using a charm pack of Kate Spain's 12 Days of Christmas and some Kona basics, I feel like I made a super fresh modern quilt, and I'm so thrilled to share it today for Amy's Creative Side's Blogger's Quilt Festival!




I challenged myself a lot with this quilt, and that's part of why I'm so proud of having finished it.  I created the pattern myself, using Ashley's quartered squares tutorial as a starting point.  I adapted it so I could work with a charm pack, and next week I'll be posting the tutorial if you want to make blocks like these ones with charm packs you may have amongst your stash.  This block translates into an awesome throw pillow!

Figuring out the math was a nightmare at first, and I joked with my husband that I was using all of that algebra I swore I would never need in school.  I had him help me with a lot of the math, and despite his lack of quilting knowledge, it was a big help.  It's become abundantly clear that I will not be the parent helping with math homework in our household!




This was also the first quilt that I sketched.  After I created the block, I wasn't sure where to go with it, so I got out a composition book and just started sketching.  Did I want to do a whole quilt of these blocks?  Do a quilt with just one block in the center?  Try to make 12 blocks, like the 12 days of Christmas?  Maybe just some quilted throw pillows?




I ultimately decided against that, and made 5 blocks, framed them with some Kona Coal and sashed them in Kona White, for a super sleek quilt top that really lets the blocks shine.  I am really in love with how this quilt turned out.  I'm feeling a lot more confident in my design skills now, and am sketching several other projects in that composition book of mine.




I straight-line quilted this quilt, which is a new concept to me.  All of my big quilts have been stippled, and I enjoy stippling, but I felt like this quilt needed a more simple approach to the quilting.  I've quilted a few small mug rugs and a doll quilt using straight lines, but this was the first sizable attempt.  I used a boatload of painters tape, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  It was definitely a challenge, trying to keep things semi-straight, but my lines definitely have a dash of wonkiness to them.  It's a good thing that I enjoy that kind of thing!




I learned I still need to work on my basting skills - there are a few wrinkles on the back of the quilt, all said and done.  I just read an awesome tutorial on spray basting over at Stitched in Color, and I think I may try that next time around.  I learned that I also need to slow down when it comes to binding - I get so excited about finishing sometimes that I make silly mistakes.  I had to rip out a a zillion stitches on the binding, which was nothing short of irritating.  Lesson learned, though.  Slow down!




All in all, this is definitely my favorite quilt that I have made to date.  It makes me want to start decorating for Christmas, even though it's not even Halloween yet.




I can't wait to start blog hopping around to see all of the other quilts in the festival.  You can still join in, just visit Amy's Creative Side for more details and to find all of the other blogs participating!

26 comments:

  1. Firstly I love love love your blog name. Secondly this quilt is a total and utter stunner - I love 12 days of Xmas and this shows it off beautifully. I aso love grey frames and white sashing and I love how much white you've used. Your quilting is perfect and the puckers you're complaining about on the back give mazing texture. I bet if you deleted the bit about the puckers, people would ask how you got that beautiful texture on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great Christmas quilt! thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your note! I love your quilt! I think we have similar tastes in quilt backs! I love how it's simple with a little something extra. I want to try a BentoBox soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very fresh look to your work! great fabric choices! Love the back too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love It!
    If you ever get sick of it....

    ReplyDelete
  6. A different looking Christmas quilt. Nice. Love the back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! Love the look of the blocks you made and large swathes of solid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just gorgeous - love the colors and design, and of course the quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome effort. I hate the maths. It does my head in. But you conquered it. It must be a great feeling. Be proud of your accomplishment. You ahve a wonderful quilt to show for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you did an amazing job with this. it is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why you love this quilt!!! You did an amazing job! Thank you for sharing the process! That Kona coal against the white is striking, especially with the fun fabrics inside! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how the blocks float against the white background. Kona coal happens to be a favorite of mine. It just makes everything "pop".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty. Love the pieced back! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow -- it's awesome, i especially like the back :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very beautiful - I love the pure white background with the darker peiced back. The bento boxes are really neat!

    Angie - www.craftedAngles.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome job you've done designing this wonderful quilt. I love your fabric choices of the 12 days of Christmas and the Kona solids. Then the simple straight line quilting makes it all seem so modern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. your quilt ist adorable!! i am not sure which side i prefer.. and that´s a very good sign, isn´t it?!
    claudia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your comment on my blog! I love your pieced back too! I just made a quilt with this line of fabric too and want to do more with it! Good work on the math skills too - it definitely doesn't scream "charm pack quilt" like some can. Great job! Meaghan

    ReplyDelete
  19. A wonderful quilt! I'm glad you finished in time to share it with us. I laughed when I read about the maths. I always say they should make quilts in maths classes. And I know what you mean about the binding, By the time you're ready to bind you just want it finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i think your quilt is absolutely amazing! thanks for sharing it with us!

    cheers from Portugal!

    (and i do love your blog's name...)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! Very modern and clean looking.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful, modern quilt - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like the fabrics you used! The blocks are so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. love those fabrics and have them in a Christmas quilt i'm doing, but wow...you've done them in such a super interesting way! thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat