Wednesday, May 30, 2012

WiP Wednesday: The one with a few long-awaited finishes

Phew. Did you have a good long weekend? I did, I spent some quality time with my sewing machine for the first time since returning from the craziness of Quilt Market. It felt good to get back in the swing of things, but I still feel like I have a mountain of commitments to climb, and I'm still having a rough time finding my groove. For the moment, though, I'm going to be happy about what I've gotten done so far!

My New York Beauty Mini
I officially shipped off my NY Beauty swap mini to my partner this morning, after finishing off the binding in the parking lot of the post office this morning. I had a really hard time deciding how to quilt this mini after I finished off the piecing, and got a last minute strike of inspiration last night, to work toward accenting the spikes of each block. I did a whirlwind style of FMQ in the negative space between the spikes, then a swirly sun surrounded by a super tight stipple in the remaining negative space.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, though I was a little unsure as I was stitching last night. I thought perhaps I was going overboard, but then again, I really enjoy densely quilted quilts. This mini was a lot of fun to work on, and I really love the way the DS Hope Valley Canyon Stripe the mini. Working with these Oakshott shot cottons was so much fun! It was hard to ship this little mini off today!

DSCN0480


DSCN0481


NY Beauty mini - back


Precious QAL Pillow
My sewing space was definitely in need of a good pillow, and Kelly's QAL was the perfect motivation to pull some treasured fabrics together for a fab pillow. I used Tamiko's great square-in-a-square pattern and added a fun black Alexander Henry pin dot to border the pillow.

IMG_9031

Angela's Improv Pineapple block
And just in the nick of time, I finished off my May block for {Sew} Beautiful, for Angela. Angela asked for improv pineapple blocks, based on the MQG tutorial Jacquie wrote, using some gorgeous summery fabrics, including the center charm, which came all the way from Hawaii. This was a really fun block to work on, I highly recommend it!


IMG_9028


I've got a zillion other things I'm working on, including posts for the EZ Dresden Challenge, the Bella Parade, Purse-Palooza, and the Zakka Sew Along. Hopefully next week I'll be able to snap some photos to share on those projects, too. What are you working on this week? I'm linking up with WiP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced, as always :)

21 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the quilting on your New York Beauty - that quilt really lives up to its name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mini - it is sunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, der NYB sieht super aus.
    Liebe Grüße Grit

    ReplyDelete
  4. the NY beauty is stunning, Elizabeth! I also am really digging the color combo in that pinapple block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow everything looks amazing. Such bright colours. The quilting work is fabulous! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You never cease to amaze me, Elizabeth. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That nyb is fabulous! Nice quilting too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your mini! Cool quilting.
    I'm diving into a queen-size quilt for our bed. It's really about time, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The NYB is a real beauty! And you other projects look fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely amazing quilting on the NY Beauty, wow! That must have been fun!
    Love the pillow, too - that tutorial is definitely on my must-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All so beautiful, what a wonderful week. The NY beauty is stunning! Don't know how you could send it off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very, very cool quilting on your NYB mini, Elizabeth! Nice finishes this week for sure. Yay for getting yoru groove back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like heavily quilted, too. Your mini is so awesome! I love how it's in the corners, instead of the center. Im going to have to find some of that shot cotton, it looks so good in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That little sun quilted in your mini is so cute. The square in square pillow is awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that NYB...the piecing, colors and quilting are stunning

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! Your NYB is something else! So creative and downright lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super drool! I love your New York Beauty. I've GOT to make one ASAP. That pineapple block is a blast, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it all, especially the Oakshott mini!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat